Recent content by grumble

1. grumble

Layers Shifting - Pulley Set Screws have been tightened

Does this happen with every print of this model, or any model, or did it happen just this one time? Whatever you do don't touch any of the x/y motors while a print is underway. If you do this the prints will shift every time due to the change in resistance. I had this happen quite a bit until...
  2. grumble

How to finish PLA parts

I use XTC-3D from smooth-on. It's a brush on epoxy and it works well. It only comes with a single 1 oz cup though so buy another 100 for $6 on amazon. It's a 2:1 mix so it helps to have graduated containers for mixing. This sets up super rock hard, which makes over sanding manually...
  3. grumble

Simplify3D Configuration Settings for gMax

Awesome! Thanks for posting.
  4. grumble

I see what happened here.. The max acceleration in my configuration was 9000, not 900. This explains why I felt it was printing wayyyy to fast by default and ended up changing the acceleration in the starting gcode so it printed normally.. :)
  5. grumble

Dual Extruder DIY XL Upgrade

Here is the foot I designed to slip over the new steel carriage rail and allow for it to accept the spring so the heater can be leveled as ususal. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwdG2FPRCWk-flJyU1BlWHIzdmEycGxGYVBCTVlOSlBxbnVxUUtMcHpvZDNTUk1Lb2RZUW8&usp=sharing Here is a video of my...
  6. grumble

I should mention that the surface of the heated bed wasn't perfectly flat but I haven't tried to use the entire print bed yet for a large print so I'm not sure how off it is. I can just sight down the length of the board and see it's a little off. Nothing major but my next test will be to visit...
  7. grumble

More pics
  8. grumble

So I was searching Amazon for heaters for a project I'm working on and came across an interesting product I thought I could potentially turn into a heated build plate. Here is what I purchased : http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Heater-Mount ... aze+heater This is a 250w panel heater typically...
  9. grumble

The combo of blue and clear turned out really cool! I'll have to remember this. Did you guys need to add gcode for max acceleration to the starting g-code tab? I was using the default speeds from simplify3D but with my first print the printer was moving so quickly I thought it'd fly off the...
  10. grumble

I've done some recent upgrades to the bed and carriage. I ordered a 2ft square chunk of 1/4" aluminum from ebay and used it to cut a new build plate and carriage to replace the plastic versions. I used some square tubing from home depot to replace the bed leveling arms. Now I have a very...
  11. grumble

gCreate Spaceship- Fullsize print with questions

You can specify which extruder you want for the skirt and brim in Simplify3D. Here is a screenshot of how that works. As far as tightening the y axis, my neighbor helped me and using 2 people makes it much easier as it's hard to keep tension on what you are also tightening by yourself.
  12. grumble

gCreate Spaceship- Fullsize print with questions

It's nice to see they have the GMAX on the simplify3d site. I was the one telling Gordon to get in contact with them since it worked so well out of the gate for me. In any case, if you are curious about simplify3d and if using it could address some of these issues I can always slice up the...
  13. grumble

Simplify3D Slicing Software

@Gordon - Glad to hear you guys are going to check this software out. I love it. I feel I haven't set my acceleration properly though but it sure prints nicely at 700 but I feel there is room to open it up a bit. Sounds like I can go to 1100. Thanks! @shaqFoo - For the offset for slicer or...
  14. grumble

Print quality good and bad on same part ??

When mine was doing this during the calibration phase I just dialed up the power to the extruder and that solved my problem. It only took maybe a 1 degree turn in the clockwise direction.
  15. grumble

Blue Gray kit on ebay

SOLD! US $1,131.57 Considering this is 1.0 from a year ago that hasn't been opened yet, it fetched a good price.. Was it someone here?