Recent content by juliatruchsess

1. juliatruchsess

gMax 1.5 and XL

The card distributed at MakerFaire. Gordon's going to have to change the gMax logo, lol.
  2. juliatruchsess

gMax 1.5 and XL

XL on the right and 1.5 on the left.
  3. juliatruchsess

gMax 1.5 and XL

4. juliatruchsess

Basic instructions needed. Help...

It should already be loaded with Gordon's standard build of the Marlin firmware. No need to load new firmware. Repetier Host (which I like, personally) is primarily a program for controlling the printer and the overall printing process. It does, however have some nice integration with slicers...
  5. juliatruchsess

second post follow up

Steve, is that "egg crate" material in the photo supporting your build plate to make it flatter? If so, I'd love to see more details of how you did that - great idea. Thanks, Julia
  6. juliatruchsess

Bed Sag

Well, glass is denser than acrylic, but I think you can achieve a comparable rigidity with less or equal mass. 1/2" Lexan is a beautiful thing but wow it must be heavy. I looked at 18x18" porcelain floor tiles at Home Depot - cheap and very rigid but more weight than I want to be slinging around.
  7. juliatruchsess

Right! I knew I'd installed something - yes, the Arduino IDE is what you want, robotman, sorry for my previous misinformation. Thanks, raykholo.
  8. juliatruchsess

Bed Sag

Yes, I want to figure out some kind of flat bed with removable build surface that hopefully won't be too heavy. Haven't had any free time for the gMax lately but I just hired a lab tech who knows printers so I expect he'll be on the case soon :)
  9. juliatruchsess

Elastomeric ("rubber") Filaments

Awesome, thanks! I've got some teflon (PTFE) tubing laying around from other printers (commonly used for bowden extruders and filament guides) so maybe I won't have to get messy with ball-point ink :) I was kind of hoping Gordon would release a new extruder bracket design that would extend the...
  10. juliatruchsess

For drivers go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. I think a driver is only required for Windows, not for Macintosh. I'm using Repetier host for printer control and I like it. It can control the gMax (although there's some weirdness with the direction of the Y-axis that I haven't fully...
  11. juliatruchsess

Z-axis Coupler Too Tight

I had exactly the same experience - one fit easily, the other one no way. I drilled it out. Well ok, my husband drilled it out - he says he backed the screws out and then clamped the coupler in a vise so it wouldn't spread while being drilled. julia
  12. juliatruchsess

Bed Sag

I did the double aluminum angle thing. Bed sag is reduced but not eliminated. I probably should have offset the angles from one another somehow to allow greater leveler adjustment range without reducing Z printing range (duh, back to the hardware store again). The other thing about the current...
  13. juliatruchsess

Bed Sag

Actually the bow I'm showing in my photo is along the Y axis, which has a larger unsupported span than the X axis due to the locations of the screws. I've bought some aluminum angle stock but haven't installed the upper rails yet; I have a feeling that that will be good enough for most of what I...
  14. juliatruchsess

LCD Loses its Mind

Today I moved the LCD module and its cables away from the printer and its cables. All day long I tried to make it malfunction, by touching the printer after walking across carpet, by slinging the X and Y axis drives around, etc. Until a moment ago I couldn't get it to spazz out - it seemed much...
  15. juliatruchsess

Sopport Material

gMax will print whatever the slicer code tells it to print - it doesn't know if it's printing a part, or support for a part. Support is generated by your slicer (slic3r, Simplify3D, SkeinForge, KISS, etc) according to the settings you give it. If you mean does the gMax have provisions for...