Recent content by RPz376

1. R

Shifting print picture

I have had the notched drive belt hop a tooth on the stepper drive wheel before, but I can't believe it could hop back on the next layer. In addition, the displacement seems too small to match a belt skip. Have you reviewed the gcode file to confirm the skip isn't there when it is sliced? I...
  2. R

Extruder Tip Rubbing When Printing Cross-Hatched Infill

The rubbing on the infill may be caused by the extruded filament stretching and breaking as it bridges across the perpendicular infill that was laid down on the previous layer. As the hot filament breaks, the ends will sometimes curl up as it cools. When the extruder passes over the curled...
  3. R

Print Quality Help

Ray, I did buy one of the 18" square heated bed PCBs offered on eBay. No issues with the purchase, packaging was great, quick delivery. Only two minor issues. 1) the board does have a bit of a warp, but that was mentioned in the listing and expected. 2) the tight spacing of the circuit path...
  4. R

Print Quality Help

Don, What is the difference in print speed between the two printers? I think the quality of the gMax print can be improved by dropping the maximum allowed acceleration values in Slic3r and then slowing it down overall. I find that the original bed is a bit sloppy due to the springs, the short...
  5. R

HOW DO YOU USE THIS THING????

I took my installation back to zero to see if I could replicate any of the same issues on my Windows 8.1 laptop, but no (bad) luck... Here's what I did: 1. I uninstalled Repetier Host using Uninstall from Programs and Features in the Control Panel 2. I plugged in my gMax printer and went to...
  6. R

Unfortunately I cannot try to replicate your issue until I return home this weekend, but I recall having a similar issue the first time I was working with an Arduino a couple of years ago. The drivers would not install with the board connected via USB. I think I just had to unplug the USB and...
  7. R

I agree with Ray that my pots are probably turned up higher than they need to be as well. The only pot I turned down since I have been running the printer was the extruder stepper pot. (and I had turned it up first) The X,Y and Z pots all seem to work fine being turned up. I started with the...
  8. R

For your question regarding the Slic3r configuration files, they are prepared for running Slic3r in Expert mode. When you start the program, go to File/Preferences and select Expert Mode, rather than Simple. Then restart the program. In expert mode, you will be able to choose different...
  9. R

Based on my experience, I believe you still have some adjustment to do on the stepper drivers. You may be able to tell whether it is x or y based on how you had the Makerbot Robot oriented on the bed. I haven't had good luck controlling the extruder head in the x and y directions from the knob...
  10. R

I agree it can be a bit tough to get everything working so you are able to print the first time out. To feed the filament into the hotend, press down the control knob next to the lcd screen once, which brings up several submenu headers on the screen. Turn the knob until the pointer is next to...
  11. R

Clearing printhead clog question

There are 4 bolts that have to be removed to pull the extruder stepper motor bracket off the carriage. Two of those bolts are the bolts you show in your photo that pass through the wood wedge plates that secure the hot end. Once the motor bracket is loose, the wood plates will be as well, and...
  12. R

Y-Axis Pulley Too Low

Don, Have you looked at 123D Design from Autodesk? (www.123dapp.com) It is free and has a native Mac OS version. I believe they have made a big effort in the past year to make it 3D printer friendly. You can also look at Blender (www.blender.org), which is a robust surface modeler with way...
  13. R

Clearing printhead clog question

On the initial setup of my gMax, I had to adjust the extruder stepper driver's potentiometer. I also had some difficulty getting the filament to feed correctly and after updating the idler lever arm that holds the smooth bearing, I had to trim off a portion of the spring to reduce the pressure...
  14. R

Y-Axis Pulley Too Low

My belt rubs a bit in the same location. Hasn't seemed to be a problem so far.