Z offset doesn't work

DanS

I replaced my j-heads with e3d heads and upgraded the firmware on my machine to 17.09.25. After upgrading, neither z baby stepping nor z offset works.

I'm setting the z offset by going to Control > Motion > Z Offset. Dial in the offset. Control > Store Memory. That's correct isn't it? Or did the method of configuring z-offset change?

(I have a 1.5+ with dual extruders and bltouch sensor.)

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
Did you swap out to the new BLTouch bracket? Also, you need to change your start gcode. Remove "g29" and "g28 x0 y0" or else it wont use the saved bed leveling. Also make sure to use to run the "Level Bed" option inside the gMax Tools folder.

DanS

I'm using simplify3d with the gmax dual extruder profile. The start script begins with:

G28 X0 Y0
T0
G28
G29

Do I need to remove both G28 lines? Or just the X0 Y0 line?

I don't see any gMax Tools folder anywhere. Is that something I need to download?

(Yes, I installed the new bracket.)

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
You need the keep the "g28" but not the "g28 x0 y0" or the "g29" and the gMax tools folder is on the printer itself. When you click the knob, it should be just above prepare.

DanS

I don't have a graphic display, so I installed Marlin 1.1.1. The description lead me to believe that I needed one to run 1.1.8?

DanS

Yes, that's what I've done in the past. After upgrading, baby stepping doesn't work at all. And it starts at the same Z position, no matter what offset I use.

I would simply adjust the sensor, but the touch sensor doesn't have enough adjustment. If I lower it any farther down, the sensor scrapes on the printed layers.