Problems with first layer adhesion

In the last week or so my printer is having trouble printing the first layer. When I start the print the right side of the bed is fine.I'm getting good adhesion and everything seems to be normal. As it prints to the left the adhesion gets worse and worse and it gets to the point where the left side of the first layer is not sticking at all.

I have not changed anything. I'm using the latest S3D profiles. I have levelled the X axis and ran the level bed from the Prepare menu countless times.

I am including a video to the problem

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ly3knwklr8nkf1a/AAAYY1e36fAvdCqxehVSPsdBa?dl=0

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like your extruder is not moving all the way to the right during the level x-axis arm script. That causes the hotend to hit the heated bed before leveling. And this would cause issues with leveling. Is something getting in the way or preventing the extruder from moving all the way to the right?

It looks like your extruder is not moving all the way to the right during the level x-axis arm script. That causes the hotend to hit the heated bed before leveling. And this would cause issues with leveling. Is something getting in the way or preventing the extruder from moving all the way to the right?
there was! There was a bolt that was blocking it. It's still not adhering on the left side of the board. I tried levelling the x-axis again and then doing a level bed routine. I'll try doing it a couple times and see if that helps.

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
After you run the bed leveling and level x-axis arm script, go to Menu<Control<Store Settings. This will save everything to the EEPROM of the printer.

After fixing the problem above, here is a snapshot of what the bed leveller plug-in is giving me in OCTOPrint

This is after doing a X axis level and a level bed routine several times

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 5.02.16 PM.png

Isn't good?? It's 2.5mm across a 18" glass bed. The glass itself is probably that uneven.
We're talking mm's.
newplot.png
Here's mine and it prints perfectly.
Can you show us what yours looks like? Must be close to perfect if you think these are bad.

I'm not sure what kind of glass you are using but if you think 2-3 mm deviation across an 18 inch sheet is ok, your standards are pretty low! DarcyT is running the heated bed so, that borosilicate glass should be pretty flat.

I am not sure how gCreate is mounting the silicone heater and glass to the bed. If the heater is laying on the bed tray, I suppose that could have some thickness variation. The couple of Keenovo heaters I have seen seemed to be pretty consistent so, I don't know.

I am curious to know if the printer is nailing the first layer after the X axis level problem in the video was corrected.

I don't have a gmax 2 to compare. However, you are talking about a $4k machine built from aluminum extrusion running Hywin rails. You should not have 3mm of deviation across the 18 inch bed.

I'll throw bed visualizer on one of my 1.5+ machines and see what it looks like.