Search results

1. N

Printer disconnects when firmware .hex file is selected

But wait... Now that I have the 1.1.8 firmware installed, I'm attempting to level the bed under the gMax tools menu. The process begins with the gantry doing an (X, Y) home, then a Z home in the center of the bed. But once it homes on the center it climbs all the way to the Z top. Problem is...
  2. N

Joshua, you're a champ. I was able to update the firmware using Cura 3.2. All is right in the world. - Bob
  3. N

I have a 2016 1.5+ XL that I'm trying to update to Marlin 1.1.8 using Cura 3.3.1. The printer connects when connected via USB. But as soon as I select the firmware .hex file the connection status immediately changes from"Waiting for a printjob" to "Printer is not connected." - Bob
  4. N

gMax 1.5+ Marlin Firmware 1.1.1 Upgrade

Blows that theory... I used the Move Axis functions to move the gantry and bed away from the far corner. But even after doing so, the Z axis can not be raised or lowered using the Move Axis function. However, the Z Move Axis function DOES work if I power-cycle the printer. Once I power-cycled...
  5. N

gMax 1.5+ Marlin Firmware 1.1.1 Upgrade

I have a dual extruder gMax 1.5+ XL that I took delivery from gCreate. I've just installed the Marlin 1.1.1 firmware. The installation process went exactly as expected. In bullet titled "Bi-Linear bed leveling" in marlin_1.1.1_changes_gcreate_170517.pdf describes a calibration process. The...
  6. N

Extruder Drive Gear

You're printing ABS at 250? That's hot. What's the nozzle size?
  7. N

Extruder Drive Gear

Are you hearing the popping sound that comes from filament skipping. Might I just be back pressure due to viscosity? - Bob
  8. N

ABS on the Gmax

Thanks for this post. There's been scant discussion of ABS on gMax. I've done some ABS printing on my unit using Aquanet-coated 3mm glass with good results. My S3D profile that I've provided in earlier postings includes the ABS process settings that have worked for me. It's interesting that...
  9. N

My Recommendations For Printing at gMax Scale

That's great. Glad to hear you haven't had any problems yet. I got a note from the gCreate crew about 3 weeks ago along the lines of they're being optimistic about the opportunities their new space provides as far as improving their build quality. I suggested that Gordon blogging about...
  10. N

Support for GMAX 1.5 XT

A lack of production quality standards and processes will be their downfall. - Bob
  11. N

Adjusting Gantry Roller Spacing

@nopick: Thanks for the tip about the eccentric spacers. I bought my unit ready built by gCreate. So I'm probably not as familiar with the mechanics as you are. I've inspected the gantry but haven't been able to locate these spacers. Can you tell me where I'd access them and how I'd adjust them...
  12. N

Right? I think you can now appreciate the complexity of my initial gMax review. It's a very functional printer that the gCreate assembly team needs to take the quality level up a notch or two. Enjoy your new printer. Can't wait to see what you come up with. - Bob
  13. N

Did the box look like it had had a rough trip? These problems with newly arrived gaar being in pieces are avoidable. I've received large-format printers of equal complexity from Leakfrog, Lulzbot without these kinds of design and assembly problems. The gCreate team needs to turn their attentions...
  14. N

This photo shows my gMax most of the way through laying down a very large first layer of a PLA print sliced using my updated Simplify3D factory file (Krause gMax 16.08.21.factory). (This factory includes new PLA Vase Mode processes. All other processes are unchanged from the earlier version.)...
  15. N

A wobble in tall, thin-walled prints

Yup. Viscosity. When I first saw it last month I was concerned that it was caused by a "sail effect" -- distortion due to the the object being pushed by the air as it moves forward and back on the bed. But it's not that. Well, at least that's not the primary cause. What we're seeing is the...