1.5+ and 1.5 XT+ difference / price

Greetings all.

I'm considering the gMax among a few other options for a step-up from my now-orphaned SoliDoodle 2 to a more capable machine with a bigger volume.

Serious question: with regards to the $500 price difference between the 1.5+ and the 1.5+ XT, what are the differences between the machines other than another 9" of rail length for the z-axis? The descriptions of the machines on the website are word-for-word identical except for the build volume, and the only apparent difference from the photos is the longer side rails.

Is there more to it, or is that additional 9" of side real just really, really expensive? :)

Not meaning to be snarky at all, serious question, they both look like glorious machines.

OK, thanks for the reply.

I have to say, in all honesty, and just as minimally-informed consumer, $500 more for just two slightly longer rails feels like an awful lot of money, like it should maybe be $50-$100 more, but it's hard to see $500, unless those side rails really are just phenomenally expensive for reasons I don't see.

Will give it some thought, cheers :)

longer z axis lead screws as well :) and those arent super cheap... While i agree its a fairly steep price, you are getting a much bigger build volume and build volume = cost.

And bigger build volume=introduction of more potential problems meaning more support that has to be offered by paid staff. This equals money!

We offer the XT to meet demand for a taller Z-axis and provide the necessary build volume people want. The original gMax was "only" 10" in the Z axis. The extra size adds complexity for us in a variety of unexpected ways both for technical support and shipping.

although i just printed a 13" tall drone canopy in open air on the gmax 1.5xt+ with zero issues... so im sold :) ill pay the extra haha oh and quality of prints (once dialed in) is INSANE>
My only wish is they had a stock e3d hotend :) but i went that direction anyway.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
dunginhawk said:
although i just printed a 13" tall drone canopy in open air on the gmax 1.5xt+ with zero issues... so im sold :) ill pay the extra haha oh and quality of prints (once dialed in) is INSANE>
My only wish is they had a stock e3d hotend :) but i went that direction anyway.
Funny you should mention that :)

well then :) very very nice... that would be a big bump... the stock hotend works, without doubt, but i noticed a lot of benefits moving to the e3d :) your hardware build with the e3d hotend and im producing stunning parts.
Lulzbot taz is awful in comparison (nothing against lulzbot, but ive owned one haha)