Adding a small 8.5x8.5 heat bed.

Hi,

Has anyone added a heat bed? I'm still waiting on my relay for my 18"x18" headbed, so I thought I might try using a 8.5"x8.5" head bed I have lying around. Will I need to replace the power unit in order to make this happen? I'm wondering if adding the heat bed will pull too many amps.

Justin

You could tap it into the 3rd screw terminal where the hotends plug in, but you'd have to re-route the cooling fan to a different port and make that change in the firmware. A circuit like this would be needed: http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Reprap_Ramps1.4_RRD_Fan_Extender
The small bed can be powered directly through the control board that way.

I've had a lot of success printing PLA onto COLD glass by putting a thin layer of glue stick on the glass. Works beautifully and lasts through multiple prints. So if you ever take the blue tape off, give this a shot.

Can't say if it'll be enough for ABS (good chance it won't be, but I'll let you know as soon as I get my filastruder).

Thanks Ray,

I was more concerned if the power source can take the amps.

Actually right now I am just trying to figure out why boards heat so slow. I did a heat test connecting them directly to a power source and they seem to max out at 70c.

Justin

Yes, the included power supply should be able to handle the small heatbed.

I never ran it higher than 70 on the Printrbot, but some people print ABS on a 110 degree bed so who knows?

See what the temp. readout is in Repetier-host if/when you end up installing the bed.

With no insulation, could the rest of the bed be acting like a huge heat sink that prevents the board from getting past 70 degrees? If you try to heat up the bed while it's sitting by itself can you get above 70?

Turns out it was actually more of an issue with the wiring. Not a good enough gauge to handle the wattage. Plugged directly into the power supply with proper wiring it high 90 and was creeping to 100 when I decided it was a good enough test. I'm still concerned the gMax can't handle the current with the power supply it's using. Luckly I have an extra Ramps 1.4.

I'm not sure if I should up my voltage. I was told this thing was supposed to get to 100C in 5 minutes. More like 40 minutes.

Justin