Basic instructions needed. Help...

OK, so I've assembled the machine, turned it on and the LCD displays the main menu.

Now what...?

We need step by step instructions....

How do I connect it to my PC? Where do I find the drivers?
Once connected, what program do I do use to print?
etc...

A basic step by step set of instructions would be appreciated. If you can get the user to the point where we could print a basic "hello world" widget then we can at least take it from there...

Thanks...

For drivers go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. I think a driver is only required for Windows, not for Macintosh.

I'm using Repetier host for printer control and I like it. It can control the gMax (although there's some weirdness with the direction of the Y-axis that I haven't fully sorted out yet) and it can use the slicer of your choice, including Slic3r. Documentation is pretty good.

I also like Simplify3D Creator, but it's not free and I had some issues that I can't recall right now that made me go back to Repetier for the moment.

Don't bother with PrintRun/Pronterface, it's really crude and old.

You can also print on the gMax without a computer connection by using the SD card - slice on the PC, put the gcode file on the SD card, and use the LCD to initiate the print. But good luck finding any explanation of what all the info and stuff on the LCD means - it's open source, which is another term for "We can't be bothered documenting it, you're on your own". I greatly prefer PC control.

New Arduino boards don't use the FTDI chip anymore for USB to Serial interface. They use a second Atmega chip with the relevant firmware installed. You simply need to install the Arduino IDE itself and in the program directory is the driver you need.

raykholo said:
New Arduino boards don't use the FTDI chip anymore for USB to Serial interface. They use a second Atmega chip with the relevant firmware installed. You simply need to install the Arduino IDE itself and in the program directory is the driver you need.
Right! I knew I'd installed something - yes, the Arduino IDE is what you want, robotman, sorry for my previous misinformation. Thanks, raykholo.

I wish to sincerely thank all of you "gMAX USERS" for helping an old man try to do something new, "3D Printing". Without you I am dead in the water. I have studied all your reply's and I finally have hope that I did not waste my money.

May I ask some questions? My number one problem, other that I can't get this thing to run, is sequencing. What do I do first after leveling the table.

1.) What is my need for loading "firmware" for the control box? Where do I get it? What do I get", How do I install it?

2. Do I use slicr or Host? Host appears more official, is it?

3.) Do I use USB or Flash Card?

You gave me a GREAT sequence for loading filament - Thanks!!!!!

4.) Can I dry run a g code program or does the unit have to have filament loading into?

5.) Is there a way to see the text of a g code program?

6.) Is there ANYTHING (aside from dropping the unit) that I could do by all this trying that would harm or break the unit?

7.) I promise to help others because of you all helping me. I hope to publish a STEP BY STEP instructions for the first time user.

Don Bedwell
1-260-229-0275

Don Bedwell said:
1.) What is my need for loading "firmware" for the control box? Where do I get it? What do I get", How do I install it?
It should already be loaded with Gordon's standard build of the Marlin firmware. No need to load new firmware.

2. Do I use slicr or Host? Host appears more official, is it?
Repetier Host (which I like, personally) is primarily a program for controlling the printer and the overall printing process. It does, however have some nice integration with slicers - after loading an STL file into Repetier Host - you can (after setting up your preferred slicer) run the slicer from within Repetier Host. There's a big button that says "Slice with Slic3r" (or whatever other slicer you may have configured Host to use). After slicing, you can just hit "Run Job" and everything should happen - hot end will heat, printing will start.

3.) Do I use USB or Flash Card?
I prefer USB but I have heard there is some danger of the printer getting confused if the PC happens to be very slow and/or very busy during printing.

4.) Can I dry run a g code program or does the unit have to have filament loading into?
gMax doesn't know if there's filament or not, so sure, you can dry run.

5.) Is there a way to see the text of a g code program?
Yes, there is a nice, full-featured g-code editor built into Repetier Host.

6.) Is there ANYTHING (aside from dropping the unit) that I could do by all this trying that would harm or break the unit?
It's easy to tell the Z-Axis to go too high, in which case the carriage can crash into the top crossbar, the motors will keep turning, and your X rods can be bent (don't ask me how I know). Most other travel is limited by endstops and assuming they're set up correctly they'll prevent damage. Repetier Host has an Emergency Stop button that's always visible.

Best of luck,
Julia