Built the gmax1.5 xt now what?

hello, I just got done building the gmax 1.5xt dual extruder 1 0.5mm and 1 0.35mm nozzels.

The build went fairly well, but now I don't know what to do.

After completing the build I leveled the extruders and the bed, then turned the printer on.

Then I tried to do a calibration test print using the SD card and kyles Betta config files for simplify 3D slicing program to print the xbox calibration print.

I inserted the SD card, it read, chose print from SD and chose the g code file to begin the print...Here's where I'm stuck....

quick start guide says it's supposed to home in the exdruder on the x and y axis endstops, lift the extruder up 10mm (if the latest firmware is installed) which the manual says it's pre installed, and then begin heating the extruders, once the extruders have reached the set temp. it will go to the middle of the bed, lower and begin printing...

Here is what happened instead: after selecting the file to print, the extruder did not attempt to find the x or y endstops, it didn't move at all, and just immediately began heating up...while the nozzle was still very close to the bed, it did not raise up 10mm

I didn't let it finished heating up and had to hit cancel print and manually tell the extruder to go back down to 24 degrees so I wouldn't further damage (melt) the acrylic bed.

am I missing something, I just want to beging test printing so I can dial it in, but if the extruder won't find the home axis and lift up to heat, I cant begin any prints because it will damage (melt) my bed.

Please Help I'm eager to begin testing and calibrating!

You need to copy and paste in some custom gcode for dual extruders. You can find custom gcode in the "printer settings" tab of slic3r.

Start GCode:
Code:
M104 S[first_layer_temperature_0] T0; set 1st nozzle heater to first layer temperature
M104 S[first_layer_temperature_1] T1; set 2nd nozzle heater to first layer temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000; Raise nozzle
M109 S[first_layer_temperature_0] T0; set 1st nozzle heater to first layer temperature
M109 S[first_layer_temperature_1] T1; set 2nd nozzle heater to first layer temperature
G1 F5000 X210 Y210 Z1; Move print head to center and lower to first layer height
End GCode:
Code:
M104 S0 T0 ; turn off temperature 1st nozzle.
M104 S0 T1 ; turn off temperature 2nd nozzle.
G28 X0  ; home X axis
G28 Y0  ; home Y axis
M84     ; disable motors

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Santiclause,

Unfortunatly it appears simplify3d handles start gcode differently than silcer. In Slic3r, you can add start gcode to home the x,y and z axis, raise the nozzle and heat up and you wont hurt the bed. We have found that with simplify3d, the nozzle heats up first, then homes the x,y and z axis before starting the print. The best thing to do is to physically move the extruder to the left and pull the bed forward, which will essentially home the axis, before a print starts. The motors are disabled so moving it is easy.

hello, I tried to manually put the extruder and bed so that both end stops were lit then try it out, but it still didn't raise the extruder to begin heating. I'm trying slic3r as well, but having positioning issues, the print xboxcalibration.stl is printing off the bed in the y direction...