The installation directory may be different depending on the version of Windows you are using or if you are using a Mac.
Note: Since this article published, Cura 3.2 has been released and the configuration files are compatible.
- Download Cura 3.1 from Ultimaker or the github page (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura).
- Install using the desired settings following Cura’s recommendations.
Once installation is complete, if you are prompted to select a printer, just exit Cura.
- Download the config files from http://forum.gcreate.com/index.php?resources/
- Unzip all the files to a location on your computer. Inside you will see 5 folders.
- Make sure Cura is closed.
- Open the Cura installation folder on your computer:
C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\resources
In your applications folder, right-click the "Ultimaker Cura" icon and choose "Show Package Contents". Navigate to "Resources" within the "Contents" folder.
For a fresh install, delete any old gMax configuration files in these folders before copying over the new ones. Make sure to back up these files if you wish to save the settings or else they will be lost!
- Copy the contents of the 5 folders you unzipped earlier into the respective folders.
- If you get an Administrator warning click "Continue"
Copy the files inside definitions\ to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\resources\definitions
Copy the files inside extruders\ to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\resources\extruders
Copy the files inside meshes\ to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\resources\meshes
Copy the files inside quality\ to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\resources\quality
Copy the files inside variants\ to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\resources\variants
- Open Cura
- Go to the "Settings Menu > Printer > Add Printer..."
- Click "Other" and scroll to the bottom to find the gMax Printers
After you have added the gMax printer you should be all set. Now it's very easy to switch your nozzle size or switch profiles.
Changing your nozzle size:
To change the nozzle diameter you can now select the desired one from a dropdown menu.
Making custom profiles:
We have set up several profiles as default starting points. These default profiles can't be modified, however you can easily use them to create your own custom profiles. Your new profiles will remain saved even if we change the default profiles in the future.
To make a custom profile first select a gMax profile as your starting point, then make your changes. Once you have made the changes you can click on the profile dropdown and select "Create profile from current settings/overrides..."
Give your profile a name and click OK.
Once your profile is saved, you will see it appear below the default gMax profiles and you can easily switch between them.
The default gMax profiles are starting points for your prints. Each 3d model may require specific settings depending on your desired results. Make sure to test out all the settings and save the projects file to retain all the settings for your project.
You can also turn on additional Cura settings by going to "Settings > Configure setting visibility...". Many additional settings and printing modes can be found here and some are very useful.
Make sure to also look at "Special Modes" and "Experimental".
105.4 KB Views: 22