Firmware issues became problematic with latest firmware

jfd

Hello,
I just upgraded to the latest firmware for Dual E3d extruders.
don't get me wrong the new G-create features are very nice especially the self leveling done once and stored, is awesome.
however, it has been an absolute nightmare,
1- LCD goes blank and sometimes shows some weird Chinese characters
2- sometimes if unhook the machine from the PC it goes blank until I connect the USB to the PC again, of course this happen not during printing
and still blank even after turned off and on again
3- sometimes it drops the extruder temperature after printing starts and freezes, I believe it is a safety feature but not sure why the extruder drops in temperature, there is nothing wrong with it, since later it works fine
4- sometimes it stops printing and I see the G-code running super fast and the machine is stationary (video uploaded)
5- when printing from PC directly, I never print from SD, the screen is blank but still work!!!!

these issues are happening very often and the blank screen is always the case during printing, there are no dead pixels on the screen itself and as I said sometimes no issues with it.
it acted this way with both Simplify3D and Repetier-Host

My machine is 2 years old, again it is a G-max 1.5+ dual extruder with E3D extruder, with optional heated bed and BLT touch, all the upgrades were purchased from G-create, no third parties involved,

this is a great machine and it is mechanically solid and reliable however these issues are not acceptable, it seems like firmware issues but I could be wrong.

any comments are welcomed,

thank you

jean

Attachments

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
How did you upload the latest firmware? Was it through cura or did you use the arduino IDE? Could have had a corrupted upload. I have not seen this happen before with 1.1.8

jfd

Thanks, Joshua
I uploaded the firmware thru Arduino IDE, I am currently test printing and it is ok, but the screen is full blank.
I have been sending G29 thru simplify 3D communication window and it does the auto leveling.
also I have to throw in some M999 when the unit freezes.
by the way I have a red PCB version not sure if it is worth mentioning.
thanks,

jean

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
I would try uploading the firmware again using cura. Here are the instructions. We are running 1.1.8 all of our print farm printers. They were all uploaded using cura. Most of the printers have the red pcb but some are even older with our blue pcb. If that doesnt help, the 5v regulator could be having issues on the arduino board. That is the only time that Ive seen the screen not work.

jfd

ok, I will install Cura
not sure how to get the instructions nothing is attached to your reply.
maybe you are up to something regarding the regulator, I realized when the LCD works it flickers in Unisom with the LED lights on top of the extruder. not a small flicker it is really substantial
by the way I suggest adding thru holes to access the dual extruder level adjustment screws without taking the BLT touch bracket off.( a consequence of removing the current visible screws)
it reduces the steps to fully adjust the Z home. the alignment is not perfect because of the LED in the way but I used Allen wrench with swivel rounded tip, it does the job.

if the regulator is the issue please advise if it is replaceable or I have to replace the Arduino board completely

thanks,

jean

Attachments

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I forget that the hyperlinks are the same color as the text. Here is the link: http://forum.gcreate.com/index.php?threads/installing-marlin-1-1-8-using-cura-slicer.1039/

As for replacement parts, shoot an email to support@gcreate.com and I can get you all squared away with anything you need.

We have also redesigned the the LED cover to make it so you no longer need screws to hold it in place. It will slide on and off without messing with the BLTouch screws. I have attached the stl to this.

Attachments

jfd

ok, thanks
I installed Cura and updated the firmware thru it, it didn't fix the issue.
do I need a new board? please advise
by the way thanks for the modified cover

thanks,

jean

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
If the screen is still not working, it is most likely a problem with the 5v regulator in the arduino board. Shoot us an email and I can get you an invoice made up for a replacement board.

jfd

Please see attached,
i guess the long files are also too big too, is it possible to do a webcame meeting?
i have Skype for business.
i also have some very good electrical and electonic technician at my disposal, i am pretty sure he can check what you think might be the issue he might just need guidance and or maybe schemeatics.
thanks

Attachments