gMax 1.5 and XL

I saw the new 1.5 and XL yesterday at NY MakerFaire, and they looked fantastic - as does our fearless leader, Gordon, always :)

Really looking forward to the parts and plans for upgrading my 1.0 to 1.5 being published - or are they already posted here somewhere? The vertical Z-Axis support looks better and I'm sure it's more stable and easier to square up than the original "A Frame" design.

julia

mwu

This looks cool. I look forward to seeing more about what the changes are and parts and plans differences. My build is currently on hold, so I could probably adjust without much effort.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
Julia,

It was great to see you and all the fellow makers. You are such a great person.

For the gMax 1.5 files... shhh we haven't officially released it yet it was a makerfaire preview :)

We designed the upgraded printer to work with all the existing frame parts but almost every printed part has changed. We just assembled another printer today to do the final redmark of the new build manual and any last minute tweaks are being made before releasing the 3d files. Keep an eye on our website near the beginning of October for exciting news. As always thank you and everyone for your amazing support and being such great people.

I think my voice is finally recovering from the weekend too...

Thank you for designing it to work with the current gmax frame parts. It means a lot that you help the printers already out there keep up with the times.

Hey Gordon,

I just purchased a printer a couple of days ago. Do I have the option of having it built using the new 1.5 parts?

Thanks,

Doug

I really appreciate that you are using the same parts from the original gmax to make version 1.5. For the dual extruder crowd do you think you can impliment a nozzle leveling function? I haven't been able to do much dual extrusion due to the second nozzle knocking prints free. I have just removed the secondary nozzle for the time being. Also, what is the new Z height of the 1.5?

Thats awesome. So you could upgrade the 1.5/ 1.0 to the xl with the new uprights and acme rod? I guess the cables wouldn't be long enough as well.

Super excited to see this thread! When I got my gmax I was a bit frustrated by trying to align everything with such an adjustable upright for the Z motors etc. It didn't seem like it needed to be adjustable at all, just more rigid. I disassembled the angles and printed 4 L brackets, used for connecting the lower frame piece together, and assembled the Z motor support in an upright position using them. Its a much more rigid setup that makes alignment super simple and straightforward. This did require designing new motor mounts though so that the extruder didn't hit the uprights on either side. What I ended up with is what the 1.5 looks like now based on that flyer. Of course after getting it to that phase I realized that some longer wire, extruded alu, and rods would add more vertical height and essentially make the XL.. :)

If anyone is interested I can share my new Z mount files, but it sounds like Gordon may be releasing something similiar soon.

yay!

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
The new z-height on 1.5 is 10" (using the same frames) and on the 1.5 XT it's 18". We're working on a better fix for the dual extrusion tweaking.

You can try loosening and adjusting the position of the v-slot wheels as well as leveling just the left/right side of the bed along with the left/right z-axis threaded rods. This will help compensate the x-axis rails with the bed.

Can't wait to print the new pieces to rebuild mine to the 1.5 revision. When do you think you will release the files for the new parts? Also I noticed something in your 1.5 upgrade pictures.
I'm guessing the rest of the 90 degree connections are threaded and bolted as well?

Attachments

mwu

I noticed that too. Take a look at the 1.5 build manual in the downloads section. The build only uses two 90 deg. brackets now, and those are the 80/20 ones instead of the printed ones. It also looks like there are more laser cut pieces under the build platform now.

I was thinking yesterday to replace A-pillar configuration on my 1.0 with straight vertical pillars.

And then I saw this thread today.

Gordon, you read my mind, can't wait for conversion :)