gMax table

Building a table for my printer. I left the top open so I could adjust the y-axis belt.

Still a work in progress. I am adding shelves for filament. And I am going to stain it black.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Added in some filament shelves I made with 3d printed brackets.
So far this project has cost me $2 for dowel rods, $5 for black PLA. I used wood and screws I had laying around.

I like the open top idea, even though I have no clue where the y axis belt adjuster is etc... I've been reading the forms and slowly learning and have come across a page or two suggesting the printer be turned over to adjust it...so this seems like a good option so you don't have to do that.

what size or diameter were the dowel rods? I may build a a table just like this. Do you have padded feet, or I thought I saw in another thread you have carpet tiles to reduce the vibration?

The dowels are poplar or pine. They are .5" diameter. It's a very snug fit with the 3D printed models. It works very well. I was working on a parametric design for these with openSCAD. Basically you would enter in the dowel diameter, the number of connections, and the angle between the connections into the program. Then openSCAD would generate that model. Which could be imported into a traditional 3D program, Blender in my case, and used to build something. If you are interested in the parametric design I would gladly put it together and post it.

I used to have carpet pads to reduce vibration. I removed them because they are not very necessary and they were ugly.

This table does wobble a little bit. I am thinking about building a shelf on the bottom for my wrench toolbox. Which weighs a good 40 LBs. That would help to keep it from wobbling while the printer is going. The table is not wonky, it wobbles because of the carpeted floor.

Does that belt tightener clip thing you have in that image come with the printer? Or is that something you have put on after the fact to compensate for a loosing belt?

thanks.

Oh no, I was talking about that small metal clip looking thing above the red clamp, is that necessary and comes with the printer to add a little bit more tension, or is this aftermarket and only used when needed ex clamp is tight and still need a little extra tension?

thanks.

That's the belt tensioner "spring", it comes included as far as I know. I personally don't like them but they're necessary on the gMax. When you have a loop of belt that long it's important to keep it taut.

Ok, and that tension spring combined with the clamp should be all I ever need to keep it tight enough right...if those two combined can't give me the necessary tightness I guess it would be time for a new belt?