Large Spool Holder

If you are like me, you have an inherent distrust of the bearing roller spool mounts like the one that ships with the gMax. Now, I am sure they are fine but, hey, I have trust issues when I set a five pound spool of plastic on top of a $2500 printer.

I originally created this mount for my Taz machines but I have modified it for the gMax. It uses the stock mounting hardware.

Enjoy.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1531851

Or you could just run a pipe through the spool, using the roller bearings that come with the printer. The spool doesn't have to "ride" the pipe, it just goes through to keep the spool from falling. A simple "end piece" attached to the gantry ends can hold the pipe in place.
That way you still make good use of the bearings since it is way better to use them than to have the spool rolling on a pipe.

I like the design. I have been wondering about a more traditional spool holder for my XT as well. Any issues with the pipe just sitting on top?

No problems at all with the pipe. The lips on the brace keep it in place. I thought I might need to print some larger diameter plugs to put in the end of the pipe but the braces are stiff enough that they don't move away from each other.

3D printed PVC... I wonder what that would smell like.

Don't even need the end piece on the gantry, just put them on the spool holder itself!
Still uses the bearings, which is by far the best way to go, and should be able to accept any size spool.
Just need to run a 1/4" threaded rod in between or anything that can be bolted to the supports, and use wing nuts.
Guaranteed to keep the spool from falling.

Jarhead, I don't know you but the posts you are making on this thread are generally not welcome. My design works well. If you want to use something different, go for it.

This forum doesn’t have an abundance of posts and the attitude you are putting forth doesn't help.

The spool holder is one of the VERY VERY few negatives so far from my experience with the Gmax.. most of the rest is great.
I just have a hatchbox spool holder above it on a shelf, but this could work better as I need to move it from time to time.
thanks

Showing people better ways is great. The approach you are using and your attitude are the problem. What might be "the best" for you might "suck" for others.

I'm not a sensitive person... at all. I also won't tolerate bad attitudes when I come across them.

If you didn't intend to be abrasive in your responses, you should work on your approach.

dunginhawk said:
The spool holder is one of the VERY VERY few negatives so far from my experience with the Gmax.. most of the rest is great.
I just have a hatchbox spool holder above it on a shelf, but this could work better as I need to move it from time to time.
thanks
Thanks, I've had great luck with this on my Taz printers.

nopick said:
Showing people better ways is great. The approach you are using and your attitude are the problem. What might be "the best" for you might "suck" for others.

I'm not a sensitive person... at all. I also won't tolerate bad attitudes when I come across them.

If you didn't intend to be abrasive in your responses, you should work on your approach.
You're right, my bad. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I apologize.

Same print, longer pipe! You would just want to make sure the pipe or dowel you are using can support the weight. The printed pieces themselves should be good for 10 pounds or so. They laugh in the face of my full 5 pound spools. :lol:

Edit: Especially if you print them with a nice tough plastic...

Thanks! Once I am up and running I will give this a go. I would love to print this in Carbonfiber, but don't have the nozzle for it.

nopick said:
Same print, longer pipe! You would just want to make sure the pipe or dowel you are using can support the weight. The printed pieces themselves should be good for 10 pounds or so. They laugh in the face of my full 5 pound spools. :lol:

Edit: Especially if you print them with a nice tough plastic...

The spool doesn't have to "ride" the pipe, it just goes through to keep the spool from falling. A simple "end piece" attached to the gantry ends can hold the pipe in place.3d printing service in surat

What is the best orientation to print the 1.5+ holders? They import standing up, but if I were to lay them flat on the bed would they print okay? If standing up is better, I take it supports are needed everywhere?