Leveling dual-extruder hot ends?

I'm curious of how many people who got the dual-extruder gMax have hot-ends that are not quite level with each other?

I got my dual-extruder gMax on pre-order so it has all the newest parts (for the 1.0 anyway), and I love it so far using the .5mm hot-end (#1), but my .35mm hot-end (#2) is about 0.5 mm lower than hot-end #1. So far I haven't seen a post with any solutions as of yet and am putting this up in hopes of getting good ideas or hearing of anyone else's fix for this issue.

I'm excited to print with multiple materials, but currently I can only really use one extruder at a time.

As for ideas I've had so far, unfortunately all of them involve melting away some of the plastic on the print head, where the hot-ends mount. Both of mine fit so snug right now that I can't shim down the higher hot-end without melting away some of the notched portion of the mount, and that goes for the other side also.

Any thoughts, ideas, or experiments anyone?

Thanks,

Caleb

I am in the same boat as you and don't have an answer for you either. I have purchased the e3d hot ends and are also not level to the bed. To remedy that you would have to take out the heatbreak and physically shorten it the difference of the nozzles. I really don't want to do that and have just ran single nozzle until the problem is remedied or I print off my own extruder and add an adjustment screw.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
you can try leveling the left/right sides of the bed while also adjusting the left and right z-axis. This may level out the extruder relative to the bed. Also you can try loosening the v-slot wheels and adjusting the left or right side to raise or lower that particular extruder.