MAXTEMP issue

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
-The printer and firmware have a maximum temperature built in so the hotend wont exceed this temperature. If you see a MAXTEMP issue this means this maximum temperature was exceeded. This can happen in one of a few ways:

-Make sure in your slicing program you aren’t setting the layer temperature above the maxtemp (which is currently 247 degrees).

-Make sure you keep the temp about 7-10 degrees below the max temp of 247 to ensure the hotend doesn’t reach the max temp as it heats up.

-Make sure your thermistor is fully secured and the wire isn’t broken. If the thermistor is loose the temperature may not work right causing the hotend to heat past the maximum temperature. Basically the thermistor may not read the temp (causing it to thing it's zero and it will constantly heat up). Then if the thermistor kicks in it will realize the temp is too high and throw a MAXTEMO exception causing everything to stop.

-The solution is to really inspect the connection, by taking it is shaking it as you look at the temp reading to see if it drops to zero or raises extremely high, or contacting us for a replacement.

I had a problem with MAXTEMP when printing with ABS and MINTEMP when printing with PLA. My temp indicator on the panel would fluctuate by 20 degrees and invariably trip the MAX or MIN setting mid print. I noticed that the thermistor hole was located fairly close to the extruder blower fan so I taped a small piece of thin insulation over the thermistor hole and wiring with Kapton tape. My problem went away. My temp readings only vary by a few degrees from my set temp now and MAXTEMP and MINTEMP don't interrupt my prints (so far!).

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the post and that's very informative.

We've had a few small issues with the thermistor connection not being 100% secure which made the temp fluctuate. We've since started soldering the connection.