MINTEMP error?

I accidentally knocked my printer one day, now it will not heat the hot ends, I get an Error: Min Temp at the bottom of the LCD screen when I go to print.

This has to do with the thermistor in the hotend not being recognized. Check that all electrical connections are solid, and look at the thermistor (small glass bead with leads) inside the metal part of the nozzle to see if it is damaged. It's quite small and potentially fragile.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
MBuch08 said:
I accidentally knocked my printer one day, now it will not heat the hot ends, I get an Error: Min Temp at the bottom of the LCD screen when I go to print.
Ray is correct and the thermistor isnt being registered. The glass tip is actually protected and taped inside the extruder so it sounds like the wire may have become loose or lost contact somewhere. Check the thermistor connection inside the electronics box and also the connection at the hotend. The thermistor is the small black connector on the extruder and ti is fairly delicate.

Thanks for the input thus far. I was wondering how at-risk other components will be if I attempt to take apart the electronics box and metal extruder. Also, how do I determine if the thermistor is damaged and how should I proceed if it is? Many thanks.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mike? (I'm assuming this is Mike),

We do not recommend taking apart the actual hotend unless you have experience with them. You can check out the "j-head" hotend wiki to see whats inside. (http://reprap.org/wiki/J_Head_Nozzle).

Now as for removing the temperature sensor (thermistor) and heater cartridge you should have no problems with that. You will need more kaptop tape (the orange tape) if you decide to remove the thermistor. Just make sure to keep the hotend intact, even when cleaning it.

We have noticed a few problems with the thermistor connectors since they are such fine wire. We have since started soldering the connections to ensure their connection. If you have any more problems feel free to email us directly as we respond to these requests faster than the forum and we will send you a replacement if that's needed.

Let us know how things are working out.

I attempted to clean the thermistor as well as check that both connections are solid and I'm still getting the same reading. I was wondering what it takes to get the new parts with soldered connections to reduce the chances of running into this problem again.

Many Thanks

Hi,

The temp sender just quit while I stepped out of the room for about 5 minutes. I came back in and the printer hot end was sitting on the printer table. It looks like the white part of the printer head melted and the hot end was sitting on the the table still connected. I turned everything off. I need a new printed head. I was so shocked to see this!!!!

Attached is pic of what I came back to. I also noticed the LED was out too.

How do I request a print head?

Joe

Attachments