New Gmax 1.5xt+ w/ E3D hotend. ISSUE !!!!!

So ive had my max for a week or so, and im starting to get things figured out. I recently switched to an E3D hotend, which is great, and I love it. However, during my FIRST ever long print with it (or the stock for that matter) it dropped to 175 on the hotend and just stayed there. Midway during the print I saw it, upped the temp manually and a few dozen layers later it did it again, and never came back up... Of course i found the nozzle had knocked off a piece of filament and the part failed.
What would/could cause a nozzle to just decide to lower itself automatically?
thanks in advance.

Has the problem happened again in subsequent prints with different gcode? Can you manually set the temperature and extrude a couple hundred mm of filament without the temp dropping?

nopick (love the seinfeld reference if thats where its from). I have only printed a couple parts (small brackets, fan shroud) and i didnt notice it happening.
The first time it happened was on like layer 150, not something that would show up in 200mm of filament.

Gordon, I know the fan is blowing on the heater block and i know this causes issues, and ive since dropped the fan speed way down (i think 30%). that blower fan is really powerful (kudos for putting a big boy on there).
It could EASILY be that. However if it was cooling the heater block too much and causing it to drop temp, why would the extruder drop 30 degrees and then stay there? it stayed there for an hour or two before i caught it. Just seems strange.

I am now looking for a decent fan for the 1.5xt+ that works with the E3D hotend. The files I found are of a fan shroud that is NOT stock on the max 1.5xt+. I can edit it, but i cant find the STL (or the cad file would be better) for the stock 1.5xt+ fan shroud.
thanks

Thanks Kyle. I did run the pid autotune and did the average of 5 values. Im getting very even heating and a solid temp hold.
My guess what happened was the layer where this started was under 45 seconds, which cranked the fan up through S3D. I took that off as well.

Thanks for the files . Is there a directory with all the updated files somewhere? the ones i found were all i think 1.1
Thanks folks.

im certainly glad you qualified that, because i just printed them and was finding no way in heck they were going to work :)
Is there anything out there? or do I need to re invent the wheel :)

gordon emailed me a new shroud for the e3d and a new part for the BLTouch mount. both are installed (the BLTouch mount is nice because it shortens the length of screws i need).
Starting a couple test prints now, but everything seems to be printing like BUTTER.

dunginhawk said:
nopick (love the seinfeld reference if thats where its from).
It is and you are the first person to catch it over the past 5+ years using it on multiple forums!

There is an all in one fan shroud for the V6 here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1292038

Not sure if it will work with the gMax extruder.

I would love to have a copy of the E3D compatible shroud and BL Touch parts if you are able to send them. I have a gMax on the way and will need to switch to the E3D pretty quickly to get the nozzle size I need.

I am glad to hear you are up and running again.

Gordon sent them to me directly in an email.. Shoot me your Email in a PM and ill send them over.. Im sure they wont mind.. He mentioned getting them posted before too long anyway.

So yeah, i think im totally up and running now. Waiting for my heated bed to arrive, which is agonizing, because I cant print customer PETG parts until i receive it, and buy some glass to put PEI on :)

gCreate

Administrator
Staff member
We have added the E3d parts to the download section of the forum. Please email us if you have any issues. We are quite happy with them :D

Also check out the bltouch installation guide if you wish to use it with the E3d.

dunginhawk: Other than the temp issue did you have any difficulties swapping out the J-head with the E3D?

I just ordered the gMax 1.5xt+ w/ dual extruder and would like to upgrade to E3D as soon as feasible.

Just had to print a new auto bed leveling bracket, as well as a new fan shroud (the e3d is about 7-10mm longer than the jhead)..
Its easy to wire up just replacing the spots where you removed the jhead from.
I connected the fan wires (for the cooling e3d fins) to the LED strip connection on the RJ45 terminal.
Except figuring out how exactly the fans all fit, etc, it worked easily.
Make sure to do a PID autotune before use.

gCreate said:
We have added the E3d parts to the download section of the forum. Please email us if you have any issues. We are quite happy with them :D

Also check out the bltouch installation guide if you wish to use it with the E3d.
The E3D parts in the download section are listed as broken. Have they been taken down or is there something wrong?

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
nopick said:
gCreate said:

The E3D parts in the download section are listed as broken. Have they been taken down or is there something wrong?

The links are fine but you have to login to download.

GORDON.LAPLANTE said:
nopick said:
gCreate said:

The links are fine but you have to login to download.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=589&p=2493&sid=8e9b1449fcefe09365c6762b33df6dea#p2493

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a couple questions about upgrading to the E3D. In using the new bracket, do I need to change any other settings in the firmware to indicate that the sensor is now in a different location in relation to the hot end?

Also, are there special inserts on the bracket I need to purchase in order to insert the screws? I did not see anything about that in Gordon's video on the install.

The screws on the stock bracket thread directly into the plastic. I redrew the part a couple mm shorter and increased the hole sizes to accept a 3mm heat set insert. The operation is smoother and the shorter mount keeps the springs from being nearly fully compressed. I still put a ziptie around the BL Touch and E3D to the BL Touch in a consistent position since i do not use the light bar / shroud.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1740054