New Member Here Building gMax 1.5XT+

Hey folks, I am DIY'er so instead of buying a prebuilt gMax 1.5 XT+, I am building one using as many parts as I can get from the gMax Store to support gCreate. I have just about got all my parts together but a little confused. Did gMax switch from 1/4-16 threaded rods to 8mm rods on the newer designs? Which thread type should I get? I will have a lot more questions as I get into the build. Thanks for any help and guidance.

Thank you, Gordon! May I also say what an awesome printer you came up with. You have probably seen a lot of orders from me in the last couple of days for parts. I am Scott Whalen. You will see quite a few more orders in the coming weeks. Thanks again.

Okay, now another question for anybody that can help me out. I have posted up a screen cap of one of gCreate's videos showing the Extruder Carriage below. I know the front most piece is printed out of the .STL files but where and what size is the metal backing plate with the 4 Delrin Wheels. I checked out http://www.openbuildspartstore.com for the same type of plate but not sure if this is the one being used and what size it is. Is it possibly this one? http://openbuildspartstore.com/mini-v-gantry-plate/

I believe that's a custom part right from Gcreate. Not off the shelf.
Easy enough to design your own using the screw pattern from the extruder body though.
I'm actually making a full lead screw model right now and designed one for it.

About to order some filament to begin printing the GMax parts. Just an opinion question. What would be the preferred filament type for a job like this PLA or ABS?

Getting into my gMax 1.5 XT+ build and have a quick question. I have included an illustration to clarify what I am asking. At the top of each 8mm Lead Screw, there is a white cap. Would this happen to be a Flanged Nylon Sleeve Bearing? I am assuming they are but wanted to be sure before ordering them from McMaster-Carr. Any help is very much appreciated.

That's not even close Kyle. You may want to double check that.
It sure is the correct part. You have to select the 20mm plate. not the 20-80mm plate. Though you could use that monstrous plate with some... slight modifications LOL.

gCreate_Kyle said:
That's not even close Kyle. You may want to double check that.
It sure is the correct part. You have to select the 20mm plate. not the 20-80mm plate. Though you could use that monstrous plate with some... slight modifications LOL.

Oops. Sorry about that. I forgot you guys printed a plate that mounts to that one. I did so many modifications to mine I didn't even think of that other plate.

For anybody at gCreate in the know, when will these parts available for sale in the online store? I am needing the leg set and Nema 17 motor mounts for my gMax build. Any idea if or when they will be available?

You can print those parts. The models are in the downloads section. Use Carbon fiber fill, it is much stiffer.

The Y-axis belt bracket should be the metal version. It gets hot from the heated bed. If it is made of plastic it will come loose very quickly.

The Z-axis carriages, they ride the vertical rails of the frame, should also be metal.

Everything else will work well as the 3D printed version.

I have successfully printed out all the parts for my gMax 1.5 XT+ build. I have a couple of LCD controllers on hand but none seem to fit the printed LCD Case/Mount. Which specific LCD controller do I need to get to fit ? Any links to the correct controller would be most appreciated.

I went with ABS Filament with great results. For rigidity, I decided to go the full monty and did 100% infill on all the parts.