Pre-purchase questions:

I'm currently using a Solidoodle3 which included in the original packaging an undisclosed but excruciatingly painful 1 year learning curve. ;-)

Questions about the gMax:

1) A heated bed isn't a necessity?
2) Is "hairspray" required to get products to stick to the bed? I've been trying to print a particular 6" long object for months and still rarely get them to complete without warping and popping off the bed regardless of how much hairspray I use. (Yes, I'm using a pseudo-heating-chamber - 4 sides - need to add a top but I consider this unacceptable for a printer which claims to be able to print 8"x8" objects.) After enclosing the chamber, moving the printer to the floor, mounting the filament spool directly above the extruder and printing on glass instead of the aluminum bed I'm still having issues. Another part warped/popped while I was typing this message.)
3) How is the bed leveled / calibrated? I've wasted untold hours on this w/ the SD3.
4) Extruder quality? As soon as I purchased the SD3 I started seeing messages stating that a "better" extruder / hot end was a necessity. (Yes, many hours have been wasted cleaning, repairing and replacing the extruder which came w/ the SD3.)

3 huge advantages to using the Gmax which jump out @ me?
1) Bed size (obviously).
2) Noise - the Solidoodle can be heard several counties away.
3) SD card. I'd love to be able to move the printer to another room and walk away.

What other competitive advantages am I missing?

My greatest concern is buying the gMax and simply ending up w/ larger versions of the headaches I'm already battling on my Solidoodle. Thoughts / input?

pnickles said:
Questions about the gMax:

1) A heated bed isn't a necessity?
2) Is "hairspray" required to get products to stick to the bed? I've been trying to print a particular 6" long object for months and still rarely get them to complete without warping and popping off the bed regardless of how much hairspray I use. (Yes, I'm using a pseudo-heating-chamber - 4 sides - need to add a top but I consider this unacceptable for a printer which claims to be able to print 8"x8" objects.) After enclosing the chamber, moving the printer to the floor, mounting the filament spool directly above the extruder and printing on glass instead of the aluminum bed I'm still having issues. Another part warped/popped while I was typing this message.)
3) How is the bed leveled / calibrated? I've wasted untold hours on this w/ the SD3.
4) Extruder quality? As soon as I purchased the SD3 I started seeing messages stating that a "better" extruder / hot end was a necessity. (Yes, many hours have been wasted cleaning, repairing and replacing the extruder which came w/ the SD3.)
1) Not for PLA, it is almost one for ABS because without it base layer warping will be very hard to overcome.
2)The Acrylic bed is sanded and as such has excellent adhesion without anything on the bed.
3)The Printer's calibration is covered in the manual at the end, http://www.gmaxprinter.com/?wpfb_dl=46 (note when an updated manual is updated this link will be changed)
4)The extruders on the printers are very, very user friendly. It makes normal maintenance for the hot ends in the case of a clog or a change very easy.

I just purchased the printer and I am curious if the printer comes with the original printed parts or the upgraded versions? Thank you

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kelley,

Thank you for your order. One of the interesting features of the gmax printer is we currently don't use manufactured or injection molded parts for our main parts. This means, that while our current stock of parts is low, all printers going out of our shop have the most up-to-date parts available.

You will be receiving the latest parts from when you ordered. We hope this answers your questions and we can't wait for you to receive your printer.