Print issue

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the gmax community and I'm already having an issue. When I print the first layer of any print the printer doesn't extrude for the first couple of paces.

For example, it prints the 2 loops around the object. Moves in and starts printing the outline of the shape just fine, but once it starts the fill the bottom layer it doesn't extrude for the first couple of paces. I was assuming the gcode was backing the filament to far back but I can't find anything in the gcode.

What's really weird is if I print two parts it doesn't skip anything on the second part.

I'm using the Gmax 1.5 single extruder firmware, and slicer 1.1.7 configs from the download section of the website.

Thanks for the help

Is the extruder making a ticking sound when this is happening? If so, this is the extruder stepper skipping steps. Caused by too much resistance to the flow of plastic.

Also be aware, instead of the motor skipping steps it could grind filament. You will know this is happening if the drive grear is spinning but there is not any plastic being pulled through. Skipping steps is more likely.

I suspect that the bed is too close to the extruder near that corner. Preventing plastic from flowing out. Which means your bed is not as level as it should be.

I use this test print to help level my bed. I use this to dial it in after doing the procedure described in the build and calibration manual.

Hope this helps!
Kyle

Attachments

While the bed being too high could be the problem, the edge line of the part as well as the outer loop look like they printed fine. If the bed was too high it would seem that these would not print. I'll offer a some other possibilities.

1 - The cooling fan might be kicking on part way through the first layer and cooling down the nozzle so much that it can't extrude any plastic. You can check this by watching to see if the temp drops after the cooling fan turn on. If it does, you should adjust your cooling fan down a bit so doesn't blow on the heater block. For this to be true in your case, the extruder would have to recover from the temp drop in time for the second part to start printing.

2 - The bed is too low at the failure point or there is something on the blue tape that is preventing the first layer from sticking. When this happens you often see the non-sticking extruded plastic bunched up somewhere. I don't see any excess plastic on your photo so this may not be the case.

3 - Something is causing the reel to bind right at the failure point so no plastic can be pulled to extrude.

Another way to test if the problem is related to bed level is to change the orientation of the print 90 degrees. If the failure remains in the same corner of the print then the problem is not related to bed level. If another part of the print suddenly stops printing in the same part of the bed where the original failure occurred then it is probably something to do with bed level or the tape at that spot.

Good luck!

Chris

Thank you both for your suggestions, I will let you know what I come up with.

I printed a couple test prints of just the first layer and over a 8in box that was printed. The size ranged from .22mm to .23mm so it might be a little close still. I will try it get the first layer closer to the 125% that is set in slicer. I have had some issues lately with the blue tape, but I have been cleaning it good with alcohol before my prints and that seems to help my sticking issue.

I did watch the fan the last couple of prints and it doesn't seem to be coming on until the second layer. The temperature of the extruder is staying within +- one degree C of the values set in slicer.

The failure area happens every time I print no matter which way I orient the part and it's happened over multiple STL files. Every time it start just after the area starts to fill in.

I have noticed lately a slight ticking noise when printing. I will pull everything apart this weekend and check for any issues inside the extruder.

I spent most of the weekend trying to get the layer to print properly. I tried the xbox.stl the kyle posted and it worked really well at getting the print area level. Thanks kyle! After printing the first layer of the stl I have a consistant .27mm around the plate.

I removed the metal hotend I had installed and checked for any obstructions and found none. The printer seems to be extruding with no extra resistance.

It seems to me that the extruder isn't extruding enough material. That is what is causing my issue?

I started a test print of four corner feet from the parts download. You can see the areas that didn't print or started to print but didn't finish.

I also attached a photo of a completed filament arm that I printed. The surface of the print has a ton of holes that didn't fill in.

Anyone have any ideas? I've read a little about increasing the extruder rate, but shouldn't the print work on the slic3r settings on the website?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Looks like your extruder is skipping a lot.

A few suggestions:
Slow way down to 20-30% with the same g-code and see how that affects the print.
Does the nozzle diameter set in slic3r match your extruder?
Have you tried turning up the current on your extruder stepper driver?
Keep a good eye on the temperature.

If you figure out your problem let us know.

The nozzle is the same .5mm.

I have turned the extruder voltage up to .9 volts, but that doesn't seem to help.

I will try to slow everything down and see if that fixes the issue.

Check your nozzle again. This looks like a partially clogged nozzle.

I have never clogged a nozzle but I have cleaned one. Which is a simialar process I would imagine to unclogging it. I used a small thread from braided wire and stuck it through the bottom of the extruder. The extuder will have to be hot.

So after spending a week taking things apart and putting them back together. I finally stumbled on to a fix to part of my issue.

Multiply replies saying something was wrong with the nozzle; clogged, dragging, etc. Made me finally figure it out. In my haste to get the new dual extruder setup going I really sped up the assembly and missed a little over extruded plastic at the back side of the e3d mounting area. This caused the extruder to sit out slightly. Looking down the hole where the filament goes, which I failed to do when setting it up. The hole was slightly off causing a drag when extruding. I spent some time shaved the over extruded area down and lined up the hole. Now I have no more drag.

But... the original issue I'm still fighting. After the outline of the part prints, it still skips an area of the fill. Watching the print, I see the fill start but I don't see the filament step motor turn until a couple of passes are made. I still think the issue is with slic3r, but I'm not sure where to look.

I looked through the gCode in the parts.zip file with gcode.ws. It does not seem to be a slic3r problem. I still think you have an extruder clogged. But Its hard to judge with just your descriptions. Pictures and close up videos help a lot.

The issue was slic3r.

I downloaded the newest version 1.2.6(beta version). Used the slic3r config info from the website and it is printing great. No more skipping areas!!

Thanks for all the help.