Recuring misprint issue

The filament feed gets stuck and moves forward but doesnt feed filamet. The result is a large gap in the layer that causes the model to fall apart. Where the feeder and filament meet there are grooves worn into the line when the machine tries to feed but gets stuck. The attached photo is about an hour into the print of an airplane cookie cutter. It has ruined several prints, but not all. I have been using MakeShaper PLA 1.75 with all the defauly settings from Cura. If I catch it messing up again I will try to post a video. Any thoughts on why it would get stuck?
Update: usually if I pause the print, remove the filament, cut a few inches off and reolace the filament, the system will work for awhile. This does not fix it for the entire rest of the print but for awhile it will be ok

Attachments

Last edited:
I find that it I catch it, pause the print, then extrude a few cm of filament. It will fix the problem for a little bit. Here is a picture of the filament if I take it out in the middle of the malfunction.

Last edited:

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
You could be printing either too fast or with too low of a temperature. This could be the filament not being up to temp when printing. So pausing would let the heater block get back up to temp. So slowing down or upping the temp might prevent clogging.

You could be printing either too fast or with too low of a temperature. This could be the filament not being up to temp when printing. So pausing would let the heater block get back up to temp. So slowing down or upping the temp might prevent clogging.
I switched to PETG and that worked well for a bit. I tried slowing and upping the temp but it still gets jammed

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
You could try a cold pull to clean it out a bit. Here is a video on cold pulling. Might also need to replace the nozzle. A worn nozzle can cause printing issues.

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
What are your current settings? Like retraction, print temp, print speed? If you have a chance, could you remove the hotend from the extruder and inspect the PTFE tubing?

In the end I took the hot end out and competely dismantled it. I found an impacted piece of plastic in the tube which I forced out. I used a lighter to burn all the residue out of the hot end and cleaned it with a pipe cleaner. The gCreate test print went just fine after that.