Set-UP help

Gordon,

We ALL are sure looking forward to your "Getting It Running" instructions. I have the machine up and running. All axis's move the way that they should, filament feeds, and movement stops where it should.

One of our problems is that information is scattered everywhere. We get dizzy reading. I AM SURE THAT OUR QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED SOMEWHERE, SOMEPLACE.
I pray that your current work is almost finished and is through and complete.

I am really scared playing around setting these pots, especially when I read that you can destroy them just trying. Is there any chart or something that says, "if you want this, turn the pot #? CCW.? or "This pot does this and this other pot does that?" or "if you turn this post in this direction the head will .......................?

I hope that we don't have to keep playing with these pots all the time just to get GREAT PRINTS. This is SCARRY STUFF to a mechanical minded old man.

Just for the record, I GRIN EVERYTIME I THINK OF WHAT I'LL BE ABLE TO DO ONCE I AM UP AND RUNNING. This machine is an answer to a prayer with just a dash of the darn devil.

Don Bedwell
260-229-0275

Hey Don,

Are you talking about potentiometers when you say pots? I was reading this and totally confused. Yeah, I broke 2 of the drivers in the process of calibration on Friday night after spending the night before putting it all together. Gordon has been kind enough to sell me some replacements. I would have hated to have to wait for an order to ship form Poland. What a pain!

Have you read his new getting started guide?
http://www.gmaxprinter.com/?page_id=146

I think it came out Saturday so I just missed it! I'm always off by a day or two. I'm thinking about making a quick video to show the things it took me a few hours to figure out on my own.

The first thing I'm going to build is another filament spool roller. You kinda need two when you have dual heads. I'm just not sure where I can get the ball bearing or what type. Are you in the same boat? I think you also have a dual head.

Justin

Justin - for your consideration. That's a <slightly too short> 5/16"-18 threaded rod that could almost hold 4 spools. Notice the printed nuts? Fun stuff.

Here's the thingiverse link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:71968

You could also print a 3rd holder as shown in the blog post here http://www.gmaxprinter.com/blog/?p=556, except that the printed bolt above will be too short for double 608 bearings. I think it will be long enough for the single.

Attachments

Nice! Thanks for showing us! I didn't know they current ones could hold that weight. I should have thought of that. I still need to get the ball bearings though. And do you know where there is already a STL for that little black washer? I know I can design it myself, but t's just easier to download a file.

Nice stabilyzer BTW. To really sell it you need the words DSLR somewhere in the kickstarter title and a 5D Mark III connected when you make the video. I've been meaning to try one, but I've grown attached to the vest and arm of my steadicam.

Justin

Thanks! I never thought about how much weight they could hold, but they're solid. The prints even came out bad, I've been having filament/ extrusion issues, down to the point of running my printer in a dedicated dark room running a dehumidifier on high without success :(

I can't find a comparable washer on thingiverse nor can I upload an STL to the forum, but the specs are inner circle: 5/16" + 1/64" in, outer circle: 1.25", extruded 1/16" or 1/8", mine are 1/16 but you'll want them more solid so use 1/8".

Thanks for the kind words on STABILYZER, I agree that DSLRs are all the rage right now but a $3,000 camera may be a tad difficult to factor in. We're doing some promotion right now and launching the kickstarter in a few weeks.