Simplify3D Configuration Settings for gMax

Gordon,

Can you please upload the Simplify3D configuration settings for the gMax? Specifically, for the dual Extruder XT but all models/versions are needed of course.

You mentioned in the blog post that you guys have had great results using Simplify3D so I purchased a copy today but can't get the printer to print a gCode file generated from it. No problems with Slicer though

gMax is listed as a supported printer on Simplify3D's web site but when you install the software, gMax printers are not listed in the known printers drop down list box and you are forced to choose "other". (understandable - gMax is a new addition since their last build) So I installed the software using "other" as the printer and then used the gMax Slicer settings as the basis for the Simplify3D settings. When I go to print a file that I outputted from Simplify3D the printer starts the heaters and they get to temp but the print never starts. I copied the start and end gcode from slicer and pasted them into the respective script sections in Simplify 3D but that didn't work. The LCD just shows "heating" and you can see the thermistors registering different temps (+/-2c) after the target temp is reached but the print doesn't start.

You said videos are coming but in the interim, the config files identical to what the gCreate team has been successful with would be a big help.

Thanks,

Larry

mwu

I have been successful with Simplify3D. I am particularly impressed with the pathing it generates for support. I accidentally left support on when printing an object that didn't require it. However, the support it printed was easily removed from areas where it would be near impossible in Slic3r.

I set up the printer as a Cartesian robot. I entered the build volume and set the flip the y axis checkbox.

I have attached an export of the Process I have been using. By no means do I consider it a final product, but it may get you started. I usually measure the filament when I get a new spool and enter a specific value into the "Other" tab. I am using a single 0.4mm e3D extruder, so some changes may be necessary for you. I also set the skirt offset to 0 to make a brim. I find that significantly reduces the likelihood of a print curling from the bed. When I do need support on a print, I often will define that manually to keep it to a minimum.

Edit:
One more thing to mention. Also under the "Other" tab is the default printing speed. Simplify3D uses mm/min instead of mm/s. The file I attached has it set kind of low compared to the Slic3r settings because I was getting much better quality at the lower speed.

Attachments

Thank you.

I downloaded the process, changed the nozzle to .46 and I am now successfully printing a file generated from Simplify3D!

It turns out, the starting and ending gCode was the culprit. I had copied the dual extruder starting and ending gCode from my Slic3r settings into Simplify's respective spots and that was causing it to hang on the heating cycles. The starting and ending gCode in your process file is much more spartan than what I had. Everything else was setup the same.

I can tell just by looking at how the first layer went down that I will use your brim method from now on. The first layer looks great (rock solid). I tried brim before in Slic3f but never that wide.

This will definitely get me by for now but it would be really nice if the gCreate team could get the Simplify3D config files added to the downloads section for all gMax models & extruders the same way they did for Slic3r. gMax is endorsing the use of Simplify3D and has had proven success with it so the announcement on the blog is good but no config files is bad :-(

Thanks again!!

Larry

mwu

I'm glad you're getting along well with those settings. One thing about the brim -- I alter the number of loops based on what I'm printing. If it's something with a lot of surface area that might cause more pull of the plastic as the layers cool or something with a very small surface area contacting the print bed compared to the volume, I will increase the brim a little bit. For instance, I used eight loops for a prototype that was roughly cylindrical at about a half inch wide and six inches tall. With fewer loops, the tall print managed to break itself loose from the bed before it was finished.

Ok.

After using mwu's settings for a bit with very good results, I wanted to try dual extrusion with Simplify3D but ran into an issue . The FFF file I had was for a single extruder and while it is very easy to add another extruder to the FFF process, it isn't straightforward how to add the second extruder's offset (solution is below) so my first test print had the two materials printed "side by side" vs a merged multicolor print. (The print previewed correctly but printed the two stls side by side.)

Setting the offset for the extruders in Slic3r is easy since there are specific fields for the extruder offset (x and y) but this is not the case in Simplify3D. The offset has to be set in the starting gCode of the first FFF process via the M218 command. This is done by opening the settings for the first FFF process and going to the scripts tab --> Starting gCode tab and placing the code there.

Here is my starting gCode:

G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000; Raise nozzle
M218 T0 X0 Y0; Set first extruder origin to 0,0
M218 T1 X45 Y0.0; Set offset of second extruder (offset from the center of nozzle#1)
M104 S199 T0; set 1st nozzle heater to first layer temperature
M104 S199 T1; set 2nd nozzle heater to first layer temperature

NOTE: I did specify the default extruder offsets in my config.h file PRIOR to trying the M218 command but that did not work. It was only after placing the M218 commands in the starting gCode that I was able to successfully print with both extruders.

Attached are two multi-color prints generated and printed from Simplify3D - The tied knot was one of their tutorial examples I modified for two color printing and the knurled pencil cup was a test to see how the knurls would print over the entire surface. I am very pleased with the quality of both. The clear & blue (combo) filament produced some really neat results - almost making it a tri-color print.

Hope this helps,

Larry

Attachments

The combo of blue and clear turned out really cool! I'll have to remember this.

Did you guys need to add gcode for max acceleration to the starting g-code tab? I was using the default speeds from simplify3D but with my first print the printer was moving so quickly I thought it'd fly off the table. I ended up setting the max acceleration to 900 in the starting gcode to slow it down to an acceptable speed.

I see what happened here.. The max acceleration in my configuration was 9000, not 900. This explains why I felt it was printing wayyyy to fast by default and ended up changing the acceleration in the starting gcode so it printed normally.. :)

I contacted tech support for Simplify3D about the configuration files for our printers and they were awesome enough to provide me them. So far I love Simplify3D even though the price tag was a bit tough at first it has proven to be a good investment.

Attachments