Slicing with Cura

Has anyone had success using Cura?
I love the UI compared to slic3r and KISSlicer, but its GCode is very jerky right now. I just need to dig into all of the expert settings.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, does anyone have success using cura? What settings do you use?

Matt Hova

I have tried using cura by just copying the configuration straight from slic3r. But every time I try to print a file the hot end won't go all the way down the the bed. So I haven't gotten past the first layer with it. Do you have and suggestions with that? it prints 1.5 mm above the bed and the g-code puts it 1.5 mm above the bed so its not a weird printer cal. issue. Cant seem to find any kind of z offset in cura to fix it.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt

We have tested with Cura but you have to change a few variables in the firmware. Basically in slic3r you can adjust the acceleration so it overrides the firmware and in Cura you can't. I hope to upload the new firmware tonight.

#edit: we already uploaded the new 1.5 firmware we just need to upload the 1.5 XT firmware. Please note if you have gMax 1.0 the wiring has changed for the hotends and blower fan. Refer to the wiring diagram in the manual.

We changed these settings in the "configuration.h" file:

#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {900,900,100,1000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 900 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 900 // X, Y, Z and E max

Can someone please provide the configuration for CURA? I get multiple crashing with Slic3r and if I need supports, the little green bar just sits there. I have the XT+. When I tried copying Slic3r's config in where it seemed logical, the printer did not work. The gantry rose to mid level. I am enclosing an image of what I put in the machine settings. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill