Tips For A New User

Hello Everyone,

I've just set up my new gMax 1.5+ and have run a couple of promising test prints although I've encountered a few issues which I wondered if anyone could help me solve.

My previous printing experience was with a Makerbot using Simplify3D. I'd only had a couple of months experience with it but got some great results. I'm really looking forward to upping the scale with my gMax.

1. Firstly, I printed a G-logo as a test with a raft and I found that the raft was stuck fast to the print so that I couldn't remove it. Any tips on how to do a more easily removable raft?

2. I had to cancel one print and start it all over again. When I restarted the Y-Axis was way off from where it had been on the previous print and no longer on the centre of the print bed. How do I adjust the Y-Axis so that the print is in the centre?

3. It seems when I start a print that the fillament is not being pre-heated and only starts extruding approximately ten seconds into the print. Is this normal and if not how do I ensure that everything is pre-heated and ready to go?

4. Finally, I'm using Simplify3D - would Slic3r be better?

Many thanks for any help that can be given and apologies if these are typical newbie questions, I'm very much looking forward to being part of the gMax community.

Best Wishes,

Ed

AlexD

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum. Hope I can help.

1. I'm sure that you need to increase the setting in the Raft Section that is: 'Separation Distance'. Mine is set to 0.14mm and I have never had trouble separating a Print from the Raft, however you might need to increase this distance slightly.

2. It sounds to me like your Pre-Print G Code Script could be missing, have you loaded the gMax Profile in S3D? You can check the Pre-Print Script by going into Scripts in the Print Settings. Usually the Pre-Print Script will Home all the axis before printing, then you shouldn't get the problem of the position being out. My script looks like this:

G28 ; home all axis

Maybe yours should be different if you have a Dual Extruder to set the offets etc.

3. Sounds to me like in S3D under the Temperature tab that 'Wait for temperature controller to stabilize before printing' isn't ticked. You need to select the Right Extruder then enable this option.

4. Absolutely not, don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Slic3r but S3D is in another league.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex,

This is great, I'll have a close look at each point and will let you know how I get on.

I've just attempted my first larger size print and sadly it lifted up of the print bed on one side. Does the blue tape and hairspray method work well for these printers? I'll give it a go now but if there's any good adhesion tips I'd be delighted to hear them.

Also I've found when printing from Simplify3D that the extruder fan doesn't come on, is there a setting to adjust for that too? When I slice the same mesh in Slic3r it comes on fine.

Thanks again for the tips, will let you know how they work out for me.

Ed :)

AlexD

Hiya mate,

When you installed S3D did you select the gMax as your printer from the drop down list? It sounds like a lot of the normal print settings are missing. If you go into the print settings and head to the Cooling tab then you should be able to set up the cooling fan. I usually set it to 50% on Layer 3 and then 100% on layer 5, but you can jump straight to 100% at layer 3.

The acrylic bed should adhere fine, you could blue tape on the acrylic but i wouldn't hairspray on the acrylic; IIRC the science behind the blue painters tape is that there is a wax kind of substance in it that binds to the hot plastic slightly which helps the adhesion, so hairspray on top of that would be counter productive, hairspray is perfect for a glass bed though. If the print is warping off the bed then it might be slightly out of level, try and run then same print and look closely at the very first layer, if the Extrusion is squashed at the side it sticks and not as squashed on the side it lifts, then it would indicate the bed being out of level slightly. Have a look at this:

Cheers mate.

Alex

Thanks Again Alex,

This is all very useful. Thanks for your time.

I follwed the instructions on the gMax website to set up Simplify3D with the configuration files and have selected the gCreate gMax 1.5XT+ from the dropdown menu on the printer profiles. It has the right bed size on the preview panel and all seems to be correct, for some reason though the fan doesn't come on. I'll keep tinkering and hopefully something will come to life.

Following your last advice I've amended the start and end script after I was sent them by Kyle at gCreate support, the scripts that were already on there were the same but in a different order so I pasted the new ones in exactly as Kyle had given me and now the printer works fine. Still baffled by the lack of fan activity though especially when it works when using Slic3r code but not code from Simplify3D, most odd.

Thanks for the tip about levelling the bed.

It has lifted off twice now, both times on the right hand side. The first layers seemed to go down absolutely level so hopefully it's just a minor adjustment. I'll attempt to raise the right hand side a little and see if there is any improvement.

Again, many thanks.

Ed

AlexD

Hi Mate,

No worries we've all been here haha.

If you are confident that the bed is level (and i believe the new bed design on the 1.5+ greatly helps here), then maybe it is the shape of the model you are trying to print, some will lift and warp more than others. You say you are trying to print with a raft? Have you tried without a Raft and using a large Brim, say 15-20 outlines?

Alex

That sounds like a good idea, I'll try that next, just running another attempt now.

The shape I'm trying to produce is effectively a tapered tube, narrowing towards the top. I successfully printed it on a smaller scale loads of time on my old Makerbot so I'm sure it just a question of learning the new machine.

Will give the multiple brim idea a go next if this fails. Will report back on here.

Many thanks Alex.

Ed

AlexD

Awesome, pictures of your first layer would be incredibly helpful. Got an image of what you are trying to print?

A brim usually works for me, I find if a model is warping it will warp on a raft too but that maybe just because i'm not very good with them and never use them.

Cheers

Alex

Here's a shot of the first layer as it is printing, it all seems to be going down pretty uninformly although maybe I've got the extruder too close to the bed? (Hope this works, I'm not sure how to add pictures here).

I've tried printing with rafts three times and had fails every time with it lifting off the bed. I'm now attempting two without rafts and using wide brims instead and so far (after an hour) they're okay.

Will update as things progress.

AlexD

It looks a bit close but i wouldn't worry about it at least you know it's going to be stuck nicely, it looks very even all round so bed looks to be level too. Good luck don't give up haha :mrgreen:

Cheers

Alex

Well after some experimenting I've had no problems using painters tape so I suppose I'll just stick to that.

I suspect the filament might be to blame for the lack of adhesion. I'll try some colorfabb and see if that makes a difference.

I'm having no joy getting Simplify3d to pre-heat the extruder or to activate the fan, am at a bit of a loss after trying everything I can think of. I've emailed their support team to see if they have any ideas or can spot a problem.

I must admit it's very addictive this 3D printing game, frustrating when things fail but a great buzz when you get a successful print.

AlexD

Hmmm it seems strange that you are having these S3D problems, it should work 'out of the box'. Can you control temp and fan through the S3D control panel?

Glad to hear the tape is working good for you.

Cheers

Alex

I can control the temperature and the speed and layer height and that seems to be about it. No fan and no pre-heating of the extruder.

I'm using version 3.0.2 - maybe there's some sort of glitch in there.

I'll post here if I hear back from them.

AlexD

Can you control the temperature and fan speed using the Machine Control Panel in S3D, the control panel where you Jog the Axis and Home etc?

Thanks

Alex

Well somehow and for reasons unknown it all started working properly today, pre-heating and with a working fan. Absolutely no idea what the problem was but all is great now. Still not getting perfect bed adhesion but am working on various fixes to see what happens.

I feel that with each print I'm making progress and learning, it's frustrating but rewarding.

Thanks for the help and advice Alex. :)