TMC2208 Drivers on 1.5XT+

sp0d

We had our RAMPS board go out and we did an overhaul to RAMPS 1.6+ with TMC2208 drivers for everything but E0 and E1.
I think we changed everything in Marlin we needed to (including config_adv for TMC2208) and the printer seems to act normal for the most part.
The issue we are running into is some layer shifting (as early as layer 2) in the X axis. We thought we would see this in the Y with the large bed but it seems to be isolated to the X for some reason.

Has anyone tried installing TMC2208 drivers on their gMax?
What vRefs did you use for your axis's?
Did you need to change anything else in the firmware?

Thanks!

sp0d

Hey everyone, just wanted to shoot out an update in case anyone wonders upon this in the future.
We were able to get the printer up and running. vrefs for X and Y are both at 1.1v and the Z we had to bump to 1.4v.
We beefed up the cooling fan on the control board as well and everything seems happy for now! Amazing how quiet this giant printer can be!

Hey everyone, just wanted to shoot out an update in case anyone wonders upon this in the future.
We were able to get the printer up and running. vrefs for X and Y are both at 1.1v and the Z we had to bump to 1.4v.
We beefed up the cooling fan on the control board as well and everything seems happy for now! Amazing how quiet this giant printer can be!
yeah i haven't done this upgrade on the gmax 2 in which i will definitely will have to since the printer is below my bed ( loft bed) and any prints that go on for more then one day is torture due to the sounds. I did this upgrade on my type A series one and its amazing how silent the printer runs. anytime i have an issue with the X axis I've learned its usually a cooling issue. I use the notua fans and it fixes 2 issues, sufficient cooling and so quite.

Ha! Series 1! I have serial number 34 and it was still printing great!
I say was because I recently decided to rebuild it just to get rid of the wood.
Really good printers. Too bad they priced themselves out of business.

Ha! Series 1! I have serial number 34 and it was still printing great!
I say was because I recently decided to rebuild it just to get rid of the wood.
Really good printers. Too bad they priced themselves out of business.
I am in constant contact with the new owner, he still sells parts and is amazing at customer service. Last i spoke to him he stated he was looking to have the company up and fully functioning again. The biggest issue with the market is everyone wants a $300.00 printer that can print a cubic foot and the chinese are doing just that. I have stuck with american made printers ( currently have 3, 1- lulzbot 5 , 1 - type A , and the Gmax 2), not saying american made is perfect and cant go out of business but the want to see US companies succeed and local jobs exist is my reason for spending more and backing those companies by purchasing from them.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just upgraded both of my 1.5XT's to use 2208's on X & Y and both got a shift, one on the x axis and the other in the y axis. DO you remember what your initial voltages were by chance? I set mine to 1.51V per the calculations.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just upgraded both of my 1.5XT's to use 2208's on X & Y and both got a shift, one on the x axis and the other in the y axis. DO you remember what your initial voltages were by chance? I set mine to 1.51V per the calculations.
He has them set to 1.1v I used the same voltages for my GMax 2 using 2209 with a new cooling fan and some large heat sinks.