Material Purchase

Check here for useful tips on how to get your printer to print at its best.

Material Purchase

Postby Don Bedwell » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 am

Does anybody know where I should be buying my raw print material?
Must be GREAT quality and a fair price.
These users thanked the author Don Bedwell for the post (total 0):
Don Bedwell

Re: Material Purchase

Postby raykholo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 pm

I've been buying 1.75mm PLA from Monoprice. They have both ABS and PLA and just rolled out a bunch of new colors. http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=107&cp_id=10724

The hope is to get a filament extrusion machine, but until such a time, monoprice it is.
These users thanked the author raykholo for the post (total 0):
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Re: Material Purchase

Postby printedsolid » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:11 pm

We supplied the colorfabb filament used to make your printer and the green spool that came with it. printedsolid.com. I've been printing for a while and consider the colorfabb PLA/PHA material to be the best I've used, which is why I sell it in the US. Pricing is relatively high, but in line with other premium/specialty material (fabberdashery, diamond age, etc).

As far as good quality standard filament goes, I've been really happy with toybuilderlabs.com (prototype supply on amazon) and protoparadigm.

I'm not going to throw out names of suppliers to not buy from, but I can say for sure that any time I've bought a spool for under $30/kg I've regretted it. I've seen filament with issues ranging from simple out of tolerance sections that plugged the hot end to more serious issues like wood chips in the filament that required the barrel of the hot end to be drilled out and filament that had actually been glued to the side of the spool.
These users thanked the author printedsolid for the post (total 0):
printedsolid

Return to gMax Tips and Tricks