Anyone tried a filament monitor on the gMax?

Why would the type of printer make any difference??
They work on any printer.
You can make your own for a whole lot less! Search thingiverse,

Jarhead said:
Again, has nothing to do with the printer.
I could be wrong, but I would say that if I'm trying to actually stop the printer with it, then it does, in fact, have something to do with the printer. If it has nothing to do with the printer, then one could simply duct tape a filament sensor to the top of the frame and it would just work. Somehow, I don't think that would be successful. And I'm not asking about "any printer," I'm asking specifically about a gMax printer, which is not DIY hardware. It has a particular flavor of firmware that I don't particularly want to edit, and a warranty that I don't particularly want to void.

What I'm looking for here is someone who has actually gone to the trouble of connecting up a filament sensor to a gMax printer (preferably a 1.5 XT+, which is the model we purchased), and who might be willing to share some insights on how they made it work.

---

Has nothing to do with the printer. It is only the FIRMWARE.
Gmax doesn't have a "flavor" of firmware, it uses Marlin.

How about doing some work yourself and looking into it. You'll see how easy it is and that I'm right.

Well, it’s obvious that Jarhead is eminently unhelpful. He could have offered useful information, such as the fact that the latest version of gCreate’s firmware for the gMax printers does, in fact, have filament sensor support enabled by default (previous versions do not, so contrary to Jarhead’s claims, those will not “just work”). The gCreate support guys even directed me to a page with pinouts and everything.

https://nutz95.wordpress.com/2017/03/10 ... -printers/

This offers a compelling reason why Jarhead shouldn’t apply to work for gCreate support. But I suppose the world needs trolls too.

See how easy it was if you just did something for yourself??

Don't know what you mean about the "just work" comment. Not that it matters.
By the way, I've had one on both of my printers since day one so, again, you're wrong.
And I pointed you to the answer in my second post. But you need someone to hold your hand through everything, that ain't me.

Let's just step through the conversation thus far, in hopes that I can educate you on what "being helpful" really means.

Why would the type of printer make any difference?? They work on any printer.
Wrong, they don't work on "any printer" out of the box. The firmware obviously matters; otherwise, why would you have given me a link explaining how to modify the firmware? And the sensor itself matters, because I've found quite a few sensors that are made specifically for certain printers, that won't work on "any printer" without modification. I asked specifically about the printer that I own, because this is a gMax forum, because I wanted specific information about this printer. You could have said something like, "Well, this is a RepRap-based printer, so any filament sensor that works with RepRap boards will work."

You can make your own for a whole lot less! Search thingiverse,
Unhelpful, and not at all what I asked for. An example of a comment that would have actually addressed the question might be, "I'm using this sensor (URL here) successfully on my gMax, and it works great." For bonus helpfulness points, you could have added, "You just need to connect it to the pins that are already enabled in the latest firmware (URL to pinout, that gCreate support provided because you didn't)."

Look at Marlin firmware. It has a filament_runout_sensor built in.
You have to define the pins used.
http://marlinfw.org/docs/configuration/ ... out-sensor
Hey, you DO know how to post URLs after all. But, you're wrong again, you don't "have to define the pins used," because the pins are already defined in the gMax flavor of the Marlin firmware (again, as I learned from gCreate support). You just have to connect the sensor to the correct pins, which you didn't mention. If I had followed your incorrect advice, I would have been wasting time mucking around in the firmware for no good reason. Maybe you have time for that, but I don't.

Has nothing to do with the printer. It is only the FIRMWARE. Gmax doesn't have a "flavor" of firmware, it uses Marlin. How about doing some work yourself and looking into it. You'll see how easy it is and that I'm right.
But wait...you said, "They work on any printer," and now several posts later, you add this bit about firmware? Didn't you think that was important? And, sorry, but you're wrong again anyway, check the code in github (just search for "gmax") and you'll see quite a number of customizations that have to be done for the stock Marlin firmware to work properly on gMax printers. And, obviously, the predefined filament sensor pins are a customization that you didn't know about. How did you miss that, Mr. Helpful?

Don't know what you mean about the "just work" comment. Not that it matters.
By the way, I've had one on both of my printers since day one so, again, you're wrong.
And I pointed you to the answer in my second post. But you need someone to hold your hand through everything, that ain't me.
Again, you said, "They work on any printer," with no additional information, or caveats, or anything. So you were either being intentionally unhelpful, or you're just clueless. Either way, you weren't helpful at all, though I have to admit that, here in your fourth post, you finally actually gave something of a legitimate answer to the original question (yay for you!). That's the first time you even bothered to mention that you're using a filament sensor on a gMax printer, which was the question I asked. As for holding my hand, or anyone's hand for that matter, that's called "being helpful." Why are you wasting everyone's time on the forums if you don't want to be helpful? Go tighten your nuts and tweak your firmware, I'm sure the rest of us will muddle through without your self-gratifying condescension.

---