Any recommendations from users?

Slowly getting better at dialing in the printer. One question i have, why the change in design on the bed. I noticed in previous pictures during the kickstarter phase that the bed was mounted totally different than now. I have dialed the accel setting clear down to 2000 (default 9000) helped out big time. The rapid movements were to much at 9000 to keep the bed in place. There is to much freedom with the bed being mounted on springs. Nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night on a 10 hour print to find out the bed has moved now the print is off. Even at slower feed rate the accel default is to high. Looking at redesigning the bed mount to get rid of the play allowed by the springs. Gordon, i would like to hear your feedback as to why you went with the style now verse the previous style you had. Also suggestions on settings you are running now to keep your bed from moving.

I had similar problems with the bed skipping at first, but tightening the belt seemed to solve the problem for me. I've ran roughly 15 hours of prints since the last belt tightening and I haven't had a single skip since.

My current issue is over extruding by ~30%. Anyone know how to access the eeprom for adjusting the extruder?

You could substitute stiffer springs. I find the biggest problem with the bed (apart from the sagging of the plexiglas) is the flexibility of the aluminum L-rails it's mounted on - they have a huge amount of floppiness and spring to them and the whole bed oscillates, not on the springs, but on those aluminum rails, at every rapid movement of the bed. I'm changing them over to heavier aluminum asap, i.e. today. U-channel instead of L-shape would probably be even stiffer but Depot didn't have any in stock :)

EDIT: looking more closely today I'm not sure that the aluminum L rails are a big part of the problem. There's a little bit of vertical play in the carriage due to bearing play and the rubber wheels (yes, they are tight against the extrusion rails), but I think the main culprit may be the plexi bed itself. Might be better all around if it was glass...

julia

curry_jr said:
Slowly getting better at dialing in the printer. One question i have, why the change in design on the bed. I noticed in previous pictures during the kickstarter phase that the bed was mounted totally different than now. I have dialed the accel setting clear down to 2000 (default 9000) helped out big time. The rapid movements were to much at 9000 to keep the bed in place. There is to much freedom with the bed being mounted on springs. Nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night on a 10 hour print to find out the bed has moved now the print is off. Even at slower feed rate the accel default is to high. Looking at redesigning the bed mount to get rid of the play allowed by the springs. Gordon, i would like to hear your feedback as to why you went with the style now verse the previous style you had. Also suggestions on settings you are running now to keep your bed from moving.

cweed21 said:
My current issue is over extruding by ~30%. Anyone know how to access the eeprom for adjusting the extruder?
You can add some m-codes at the beginning of each print to set the extrusion (or any other parameters) rather than messing with the config and eeprom stuff. Repetier host has a feature just for this in its g-code editor section. Whatever you put in the "Start Code" section gets prepended to every g-code file before it's written to disk. There are similar sections for End Code, Pause, and Kill. Repetier remembers these sections so you don't have to enter them for every print.

EDIT: Actually it looks like slic3r itself has the same functionality; I'm not sure if they're redundant or sharing the same data... so much to learn!

Attachments