Weird model/slice/print Fail, n00b, please help!

I'm pretty new at all this, so please bear with me...!

Been playing with the gMax for a couple months now. Many successful prints, both from STLs I've found on thingiverse, and from simple models I've thrown together (or modified) with SketchUp.

New problem. Trying to print a big Slug. (Just cuz.) Found this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1859, modified it a little into this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Tu1mxVhSZYTVRwd25tVHFIa00/view?pli=1.

The model looks fine to me in SketchUp. Looks fine in Slic3r. Even looks fine in netfabb (which I don't use much yet). Sliced it, went to print it..... and it drove the gMax insane, I think?! The extruder became super-jerky, bouncing around a lot as it tried to print, and it printed very WRONG. I didn't let it go too long: when it looked like it was trying to print the single model as several separate parts, some of which reached outside the skirt/brim perimeter(?!), I stopped it immediately.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong all of a sudden?!

mwu

I'm new to 3d printing too, but I can take a look anyway. I downloaded the STL file and sliced it -- the output looked ok to me. Can you link to the gcode you sent to the printer?

Are you printing with Support? I've had this problem too. The printer would go crazy trying to print out support that I didn't see has part of the original model. All the jerking would cause some belt skipping that would realign the printhead, sometimes outside of the original outline. You might be able to test this by dramatically slowing the speed down, especially Gap Fill (set to 20 or less).

Chris

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
TastyLlama said:
The model looks fine to me in SketchUp. Looks fine in Slic3r. Even looks fine in netfabb (which I don't use much yet). Sliced it, went to print it..... and it drove the gMax insane, I think?! The extruder became super-jerky, bouncing around a lot as it tried to print, and it printed very WRONG. I didn't let it go too long: when it looked like it was trying to print the single model as several separate parts, some of which reached outside the skirt/brim perimeter(?!), I stopped it immediately.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong all of a sudden?!
Try downloading the latest slic3r (1.1.7) and install our latest config file bundle we just uploaded. It could be a slicer issue.