new config / firmware files

Hi
I've been away for a while and just picked up again. I'm trying to get the potentiometers right to remove my layer shifts which I keep having... lots of testing and taking quite some time.

Yet, I also found the new config file but that crashes Slic3r. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I open Slic3er and select 'open configuration'.

I also found the new firmware. How do I install that? Never done that before...

Hope someone can help soon.

regards
Jeroen

mwu

You'll want the latest version of Slic3r for the new slicer configs. Use File->Load Config Bundle.

For installing the firmware, you'll need to get the Arduino IDE. Open the IDE and load the Marlin.ino file. Connect up to your printer via USB. Hit the Upload button to compile and upload the firmware to the printer. There may be a step to select the port the printer is on.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure to check out or youtube channel for tutorial videos on installing firmware. Also part 1 of our slic3r series shows you how to load slic3r config bundles. https://www.youtube.com/user/gCreate3D Please note if you install new firmware, the wiring of your gMax may be different than that of the latest firmware. Check the latest wiring diagram int he manual to see which order the wires should be in for the hotend and blower fan.

In order to streamline the single and dual extruder configurations the wiring changed in gMax 1.5

As for your layer shifting, it could be a few issues.

1. Make sure you have tour stepper driver fine tuned to ensure the motor isnt receiving too much or too little power. This may cause steps.

2. Try swapping the stepper driver, corresponding to the direction of the skip, with either the E1 stepper driver or a spare if you have one. This may solve the problem.

3. Load the latest slic3r config bundle which it sounds like you will try.