Repitier Host

CaP

Can't seem to get repitier host to work with gmax 1.5 works in manual moving around and what not but once the slice is finished and print starts goes to home like it should then doesn't heat up just sits there. Printer works great in Pronterface just not repitier any help work be appreciated.

It's hard to tell what is going on from your description. Are you loading a gCode file from an SD card? I would open the file and see what the gCode commands are. The out of the box version of Slic3r appends a hotend centering sequence at the start of a gCode print file. It seems as if your printer is executing this. But if there are no additional commands in the file then the hotend will just sit there after moving to the center. The RepRap Wiki has a good explanation of gCode commands. You can do a quick check on the file by opening it and looking at how many lines of gCode there are. If you only have about 10 lines of commands then your model has not sliced properly and you only have the opening center sequence programmed. If your file has hundreds of lines then it looks like the model has sliced but the printer is hanging up on one of the command lines.

I can take a look at the file if there is a way for you to upload it or provide a link. I may be way off base here but it's hard to tell from your description.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
@CaP

We noticed some irregularities with repitier host early on which were hard to diagnose. We decided to focus on getting the printer to work well with ponterface first before tackling other software. We use Marlin firmware on a RAMPS 1.4 board so start with googling tips on how to get repetier host to work with them. This is a very common combination and it should be easy to get some good information.

On a side note, the printer will run amazing well with Octoprint on a raspberry pi and we highly recommend researching this if you are interested.

We also recently have run the printer from Cura, by Ultimaker, and this too works well but it requires a firmware tweak to reduce the acceleration values by 10x or else the print head will skip. We hope to release this new firmware soon.

CaP

I pretty much gave up on repitier host the gcode all looked right but still printer just idled i'm going to stick with slic3r...

I had the exact same problem and found a fix to my issue. I just got my 1.5 XT dual extruders built and tried my first print and am using Repetier-Host V1.0.6. I loaded the 1.1.7 gMax Slic3r config as well. My printer homed and then would not heat the hotend (only using one for the print E0). I then checked the g-code and found there was a problem with this line

M109 S199, 199; Heat to first layer temp

I edited the gcode in the g-code Editor under the Preview tab and made the following change

M109 S199; Heat to first layer temp

Then I hit the Start Print button at the top and it performed the home, heated the hotend and then started printing. Not sure if you get this in your g-code it was on line 12 for me at the beginning but hope this help. I always check the first section of g-code when things like this happen even in the CNC world they can cause your programs to not run. I test by commenting one line out and then run a test print in the air (for 3d printing remove filalment from extruder), then uncomment and move the the next line. Sometime you will find a line that the host or controller program does not like and then tweak the g-code.