Print head dragging on already printed layers

New to 3D printing, but I have a fair amount of 3D and mechanical experience. My first test prints seemed fine, but I have come up on an issue I'm not sure how to handle. When printing I am getting a Y axis drag, that seems to be caused by the printer riding hard on the layers already put down. It is either the Z isn't coming up enough on each run or more likely from my observations that the printer is laying down to much material and pushing it into peaks on either side of the head. I can see and hear the thump as it comes back on the next pass. It is worst on the honey comb as it catches as the head travels. Any thoughts on how I might tackle troubleshooting this issue.

FD

Attachments

Have you loaded the latest slic3r config. Found in the downloads section of the website. Firmware and configurations>Slic3r 1.1.7 config files.

Check the set screws on the timing pulley attached to the y-axis stepper motor. Sometimes these come loose.

If you feel as though too much plastic is being extruded. Try turning down your extrusion multiplier to 0.85. This is found in the filament settings of slic3r. You may have to dial in the value as you see fit.

You can also add a z-lift in you retraction settings of slic3r. Found in Printer settings>extruder 1>retraction. Try 0.5mm first. Ideally you don't want to use a z lift as it adds time to prints. And the sound is plain annoying.

Make one change at a time and it doesn't hurt to take notes.

You are making you own slic3r configuration I imagine. That is a great way to learn slic3r and the fundamentals of 3d printing. I encourage you to keep going.

Gordan has been updating the slic3r configurations to optimize the gMax. After downloading the file from the website, go in Slic3r>File>Load Config Bundle. Then select the file you just downloaded. Its a much easier and faster way of getting quality prints. Try them out.