Temp drops 50 degrees before finishing the first layer

I have a single extruder with an E3D nozzle. I also have a dual extruder with the stock j-heads which I have yet to print with. After installing the dual extruder and loading up the new firmware. I realized I needed to print a new motor bracket for my dual extruder. So I put the single extruder back on. Reloaded single extruder firmware, which is set up for an E3D. And attempted to print a dual extruder motor bracket.

Before the print starts the extruder gets to temperature and everything seems normal. Before my first layer finishes my temp drops below the minimum temperature. It went to 138 degrees in 2-3 minutes. This is before the cooling fan even turns on. The LCD and pronterface show that the set temp as 220. and actual temp as xxx (something way to low).

This happens printing from SD and from pronterface with multiple models. For some reason out of no where I did get a successful 3 minute print, a pegboard hook. The temperature was perfect the entire time. I attempted to print the same g-code without changing a thing and the problem came back. This happened while printing from an SD card.

Connections to my heater cartridge tested OK.
There have not been any errors on the LCD screen.

I beleive it is a g-code or firmware problem. Most likely firmware becuase it started ever since I reloaded the firmware.

Unplugged the heater cartridge. Plugged it back in. And... it begins to heat up immediately. It did corrupt my screen the moment I plugged it in.

I need to include that I put my own connectors on for my heater cartridge because the local hobby shop did not sell the ones that came with my gMax. They sold me http://www.advantagehobby.com/78034/VNR1609/?pcat=799

These are definitely my problem... I remember my first solder FAIL.