Layer offset on y-axis, need help trouble shooting.

I have a test print I've been using to calibrate my motors, but I have been unsuccessful thus far at preventing skipped steps on the test print.

I have attempted turning up the power on the stepper driver as well as turning it down. I also reduced acceleration to 5000 mm/sec^2 in my slic3r config.

I attempted printing three times and it looks like it happens in the same place each time.

I have uploaded photos of the bad prints as well as the original STL file and the gCode sent to my printer in this Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

While you wait for someone to come up with a better answer, you could try to lower your acceleration way down to 600. That's what I've got mine set at and I'm getting great prints. Does it seem like your printer is shaking or moving too fast when the layers shift? That could be related to acceleration or maybe gap fill. You can reduce your gap fill in Slic3r to 10mm just to eliminate this as a cause. Is the head bumping/dragging against the lower layers when it skips? This could be related to a bed leveling issue, but your prints are fairly high up when they skip so poor leveling is unlikely to be the cause.

Is the material warping and curling up during print. If so, you will often get a skip when the head hits and is blocked by the upturned spots.

Best of luck in figuring it out.

Chris

I have uploaded photos of the bad prints as well as the original STL file and the gCode sent to my printer in this Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
The .stl file is not the same as the gCode file or the images of the failed print so I printed your gCode file (as is, with no modifications). So basically, my gCode should be identical to your failed print sans any firmware differences (i.e. I lowered my Jerk settings in the firmware a few weeks ago per another user's suggestion).

My print did not exhibit the layer shift as seen in the failed prints. While I agree with everyone else to lower the acceleration settings, doesn't my print indicate this might be more than just an acceleration issue? Granted it's not a perfect print, but it is acceptable considering the acceleration used. I

I am hoping someone who is more knowledgeable than me (almost everyone here), can help make further sense of this but this should aid in troubleshooting. A gMax CAN produce a successful print with your gCode file although it's not ideal.

Good luck,

Larry

Attachments

Could the problem be caused by a belt that is a bit too loose? When the head suddenly shifts direction, the printer with the loose belt skips a notch while the other printer does not. The direction of the skip would provide a clue about which belt to check. The only other thought is to try adjusting the X or Y pot again.

Chris

Lowering the acceleration fixed the issue and the printer moves much smoother now.

Thanks all for your tips and advice!

For the record, I came to 5000 initially due to some other FAQs I found that stated 9000 was just a little high for their printer (it was a different printer), so I decided to go about half way from there.

The .stl file is not the same as the gCode file or the images of the failed print so I printed your gCode file (as is, with no modifications). So basically, my gCode should be identical to your failed print sans any firmware differences (i.e. I lowered my Jerk settings in the firmware a few weeks ago per another user's suggestion).

My print did not exhibit the layer shift as seen in the failed prints. While I agree with everyone else to lower the acceleration settings, doesn't my print indicate this might be more than just an acceleration issue? Granted it's not a perfect print, but it is acceptable considering the acceleration used.
What are your jerk settings?

Yeah, I guess that would help. :oops:

Lowered DEFAULT_XYJERK from 20 to 5.0

Cut and pasted directly from my config.h:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instanteneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------