Layers Shifting

Hey Everyone,

I've been happily printing on my gMax 1.0 for about 5 months now, but all the sudden every single one of my prints is failing in the X-axis in some way or another. At first it was the first few layers then random ones higher up, or a major shift in the lower layers followed by a gradual slant in one direction or another (still X-Axis).

For troubleshooting I've already tried all the following with no success:

- Changed X-Axis stepper voltage up
- Changed X-Axis stepper voltage down
- Tried printing a different model
- Tried using a different slicer for the gcode
- Tried using different slicer settings, including all settings that previously worked fine

I've also added some pictures to show what I'm experiencing. I just don't know what to do at this point apart from stealing the Stepper Driver for my 2nd Extruder (which I'm not using anyway) and using that.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Attachments

Re: Sudden X-Axis problems, do I need a new Stepper Driver?

You may need a new stepper driver.

Before you buy anything or take anything apart, check the set screws in the timing pulley. Sometimes these vibrate loose.

Then check the extruder carriage for friction. I doubt this is the problem but I had a piece of filament I cut fall into a weird spot and slightly jam the wheels once.

Thanks Kyle, I totally didn't think of checking the timing pulley screw, that could be it for sure.

I did notice some of my problems were due to some filament in the X-Axis track, but unfortunately after cleaning it out I still ran into problems.

I'll check the timing pulley when I get home and if that's not it I'll have to steal the 2nd Extruder Stepper.

Does anyone know if once you do that you need to upload the Single Extruder firmware so you don't get any errors from "missing electronics"?

Well you totally called it Kyle, it just ended up being the screws for the pulley gear on the motor, which makes sense now considering what I was seeing.

Thank you so much for the help and quick reply! Now I can get my new Fan Shroud printed for my E3D Volcano Hot-End that I've been excited to use. =D

Also I added a photo of a successful print after the fix.

Attachments

Of nothing! (see Spanish translation)
Don't forget to post your learning experiences with the volcano. I am building one next week.

Could have just said 'de nada' dude. We get Spanish and are more so technically minded people that can understand literal translations. :)

Yes, Volcano experiences, please. My all-in order includes chimeras so I'm still waiting on that backorder.

I'll post up my Volcano experience(s) for sure! This is gonna be my first experience with an E3D hot-end so I'm excited all the way around. I'm starting with a quick/cheap upgrade first by just printing a new gMax 1.0 Dual-Extruder fan shroud, then will eventually print up the parts for a whole new X-Axis carriage.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures up by the end of the week!