Room temp effect?

Hi all,

Anyone has experiences with changing room temperature such as heat during winter or A/C during summer? Please share your experiences with changes >1C (or 2F).

In Summer, I notice bringing the room temperature down 2F (1C) is okay, but when the A/C is off and room is warming up, the print is not as nice (the layers are not sticking that nice/neat). Am I experiencing a room temp change or something else?

Please share your experiences with room temp changes.

Thanks,

Hadi

Ambient temperature does have an effect.

ABS will warp less in a hot room.
PLA is more prone to jamming in a hot room.
You will have better overhangs and bridges with PLA in a cold room.
Too much cooling fan in a cold room can cause the hotend to loose temperature.

If you can, keep a consistent temperature. One less variable you have to consider. But if your like me, Your office/shop is not climate controlled. So we have to consider the ambient temperature. You don't have to be extremely precise about it.

There is a higher chance that your stepper drivers can overheat on a hot day.

Great information, thank you.

For printing ABS with gcreate, would you recommend a temperature higher than 72F?

And for printing PLA, would you recommend a temperature lower than 72F?

Yes, my room is temperature controlled and I let it slide 2F everyday. I don't think 2F is that much of a change, but I kept it at 76F in the summer. So my early experience is correct, the PLA seems not liking warmer temperature.

Hadi

Maintaining temperatures between 72 and 76 is a safe bet. I get good results most of the time and my shop goes from 40- 90 depending on time of year.

I print much more PLA than ABS though. The shop is small and enclosed, the ABS fumes give me a head ache. When printing ABS I have to open a window and let the great outdoors control my ambient temps. Which does not work well if its cold outside, more so because I don't like being cold. ABS is a summer time material for me. LOL.

My house has a tendency to be drafty during the winter. So I would have issues with prints not sticking to the bed or warping during the winter. I had to at one point put a shield around it to block the drafts.

I had no problem with adherence or warping in the summer but now that it's much colder inside my house I have had issues with both. Once my printer is up and running again (the printer isn't able to read the SD card now and I'm trying to get an external computer to run it) I'm going to try putting a heating pad under the printer to, hopefully, warm up the print bed enough to work well again. Will advise.