Y-Axis Pulley Too Low

Anyone else run into the issue of the Y-axis pulley not providing enough clearance for the belt?

I've loosened it several times and tried pushing it up as far as possible. Needs about 3mm more height to really clear the frame.

Downloading part to modify and print. :)

Attachments

Yes, however when I push the assembly up all the way the belt just barely touches the outer corner of the frame. Looks to be the same clearance as with you. Ask Gordon for this part in a different format if needed :)

Once my machine is fully up and running I'll see if this causes a problem.

Just got a notice Inventor Fusion now supports .stl file import! Too tired to verify tonight but will check it out tomorrow...

Had this problem since day one. The belt rubs either the extrusion or y axis mounting plate. I would love to see the stepper and pully assembly rotated 90 degrees. I just haven't had time to model it up yet. I use Solidworks so a stl file isn't very helpfull.

Turns out the .stl import was added to Fusion 360, their online monthly subscription based product.

However, they've added an "enthusiast" category for getting a free account; cannot use for commercial purposes. That works for me.

Still learning the ins and outs of the tool. The online (browser based) version is useable if you know what you're doing, but not so much (due to slow response speed) if you're learning.

@Levitate
I've got probably 80% of the gMax redrawn in SW. Of the printed parts, I have all but the electronics enclosure done (I'm not looking forward to redrawing that one). Overall, the only parts I need to model up are the electronics, which I won't get too crazy with, and few odds and ends. I'm still waiting to receive my actual printer to finalize the rest of the machine.

I plan on running it by Gordon before I post the whole machine. I'll eventually post the original machine, plus a version with some changes I plan on making.

I'm learning a .stl file appears to be <> .dwg file <> .step <> [insert favorite 3D modeling software file format here].

Inventor 360 supports importing .stl files but how to modify them is not immediately obvious. (As in the straightforward way an object is scaled does not appear to work on imported .stl files, but there are claims it is supported)

It's all quite frustrating when all I want to do is scale the Q-axis pulley supports ~3mm and I can't separate the two pieces in the .stl file to scale each of them in the appropriate axis.

I used 3D Studio & 3DS Max for years in another life and optimistically am hoping a similar level of 3D modeler is available, minus the lighting, camera, motion, texture, etc. controls.

In the meantime I'm working on the support rails for the gMax bed and working on addressing Z-axis wobble.

@dreadful The STL file format will soon die. Its an eventuality. There are many patches for modern 3d modeling programs to use STL but most have major limitations. Have you had any luck with SW "scan to 3d" with an STL? im running SW 2014 pro and had minor luck not major yet.

Don, if you want to use Inventor on Windows, I have a plugin called Mesh Enabler.

STL is for 3D printers, I find it very unfortunate that Thingiverse doesn't have authors upload any other formats such as STEP or IGES. Would have been very helpful on more than one occasion. STLs are broken up into lines which makes generating curves/ "complex surfaces" very graphics/ processor intensive.

From my understanding, STL is a universal format. It doesn't carry "features" like solidworks does. All 3D software saves objects as polygon faces, SW just saves the steps used to create the model then converts each feature and doesn't show the facets. At work, we send out STEP and STL files to our machining vendors to import into their CNC. I doubt that STL will die soon. I mean DWG is technically kuniversal also, and that's been around for liter ally decades.

And no, I've never used the scan to 3D feature in SW. One of these days I might end up buying a 3D scanner. But until then I'm just going to have to painstakingly measure and draw. Or in the case of STL files, import and recreate...

@dreadfull sorry SW is a Parasolid-based solid modeler and uses a exact boundary representation. Not a polygon mesh. STL "Stereo lithograph" was created in the 80s and uses a polygon mesh to only represent a surface of an object.

PS your machining vendors don't import those files into their CNC, they have a CAM system they generate toolpaths and ultimately G-code from those model files. The G-code is almost exactly the same as what our gMax printers run off of.

SW ScanTo3D Overview. Not for 3d scanners
http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English ... erview.htm

@Levitate
I see what you meant about the "Scan to 3D" in SW. I tried it out quick and had no luck with it. I'll try to mess around with it later because it could be useful.
What I ended up doing is importing the STL files as solid bodies, which still gave me every polygon, but at that point I could measure the faces and lines which helped me tremendously when redrawing the parts. Technically, if I didn't want to reconstruct the features like I did, I could've used the model as is and just used the "Flex" option to stretch the model or added my own extrudes and holes, etc.

Don,

Have you looked at 123D Design from Autodesk? (www.123dapp.com) It is free and has a native Mac OS version. I believe they have made a big effort in the past year to make it 3D printer friendly.

You can also look at Blender (www.blender.org), which is a robust surface modeler with way more features than you would ever need for 3D printing alone. I have never gotten past the learning curve personally, and I typically use 3ds Max on Windows for surface modeling, but it is free and it has a native Mac OS version. There are some tools specifically added for 3D Printing.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Exten ... intToolbox

You might also want to take a look at meshmixer (www.meshmixer.com) - also free and from Autodesk. I have played with that a bit, but only as a free form sculpter. It also has a native Mac OS version.

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
In the newer printers we have replaced the rear y-axis bearing with this:

http://openbuildspartstore.com/smooth-idler-pulley-kit/

With the old large bearing if you raised it too much the belt hit the top of the acrylic bed carriage and if it was too low it hit the frame.

Make sure to replace the bearing with the one above and replace the front motor bracket with the latest one on the download site. The new motor bracket also lowers the belt.

Tried 123 Design; it was very easy to use but a little underpowered in terms of control. (tapering edges and so on) While it does support importing .stl files, you cannot modify them, e.g. scale, lengthen, etc.

Been using Rhino 3D. Free to use while in alpha. Supports 'real' .stl import/export. Think it will be ~$100 when it ships.