Wrinkling in first layer

Post your own questions and topics to troubleshoot common problems with the gMax printer as well as similar printer designs.

Re: Wrinkling in first layer

Postby Satvik11 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:54 am

I have been printing with masking tape and then smearing a gluestick on top of that
These users thanked the author Satvik11 for the post (total 0):
Satvik11

Postby Satvik11 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:21 pm

It's been six months and no matter what glass bed I put it on it bends. The frustration grows
Satvik11

Postby flrock » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Satvik11 wrote:It's been six months and no matter what glass bed I put it on it bends. The frustration grows

Have you checked that the Z-Axis rail is level? I just had to level mine today as my first layer had major problems with it's consistency, not as bad as yours but noticeable that there was an issue. I'm not sure if there is some line of code in order to clear out/sync the z-axis motors or not, I just simply moved the extruder to one side, powered down, put a level on the z bracket, and manually turned one lead screw until I was level. Once there I played with both sides to even it out as close as I could go without one side being more taut than the other. At this point I was able to get a decent 1st layer despite the obvious issues with this acrylic bed.
These users thanked the author flrock for the post (total 0):
flrock

Postby Satvik11 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:58 pm

I have leveled the z-axis by forces both sides to go to the very top, I think either my x-axis is bent or the glass, but when I use a straight edge to check it looks straight, perhaps the aluminum under is bent does anyone know how to fix that?
Satvik11

Postby flrock » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Satvik11 wrote:I have leveled the z-axis by forces both sides to go to the very top, I think either my x-axis is bent or the glass, but when I use a straight edge to check it looks straight, perhaps the aluminum under is bent does anyone know how to fix that?

Did you check that the rail was level as well as the bed. They both must be perpendicular to one another. On that print you showed was it from front to back or from left to right, knowing that should help you figure out where the issue might be?
flrock

Postby Satvik11 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:30 am

I think my x rail is bent but when I check with straight edge it looks straight
It could also be that the metal underneath bed us bent how would I fix both problems
Satvik11

Postby Satvik11 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:54 am

Yes they are only perpendicular to each other in certain spots, i think the x-rail and the y rails are bent how would I go about fixing the problem? it also may be that the Aluminum under the glass may be bent? I litteraly so close to giving up :cry:.
Satvik11

Postby flrock » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Satvik11 wrote:Yes they are only perpendicular to each other in certain spots, i think the x-rail and the y rails are bent how would I go about fixing the problem? it also may be that the Aluminum under the glass may be bent? I litteraly so close to giving up :cry:.

Okay, you need to isolate these issues and confirm them first. Put a level, not a straight edge, on the x-axis rail. Aligning by force may not fix the issue. How do I know? Because when I leveled mine by hand, raising one side to its max eventually began to raise the other, however it was still not level and will still fail on prints. These rails are pretty solid in design and a bent rail should be noticeable by eye.

Once again, leveling by force on both sides might not fix this simple issue as the rail can bind before it levels and will not properly align. I really suggest putting a level on the X-rail (the rail going left to right) and check it's level at the bottom, middle, and top. If it isn't level, turn the lead screw by hand (power off) until its level, do this in alternating turns. One side clockwise, the other side counterclockwise.

Lastly, if you do find out that the rails are bent, I guess you'll have to replace the rails.
flrock

Postby Saaif88 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm having this exact same problem... Has anyone found a way to fix this? The rest of the print comes out fine, but the first layer looks terrible and doesn't stick very well towards the center...
These users thanked the author Saaif88 for the post (total 0):
Saaif88

Previous

Return to Community Troubleshooting Forum