Hotend becomes loose or jerky - w/ FIX

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
We have noticed the hotend on early gMax printers can become lose. This is a result of the basswood spacers which connect the hotend to the extruder (for easy removal) become lose against the hotend.

We have just updated our extruder bracket to fix this problem (one reason we love 3d printing parts instead of injection molding). The new bracket puts pressure on the j-head hotend from the top which clamps down the basswood spacers. Any new printer kits will include a spacer to put between the j-head hotend and the extruder motor bracket to fix this problem.

A solution for any existing printer kits is to remove the hotend from the extruder:

and put in several washers (or lasercut wood spacers) between the j-head hotend and the extruder motor bracket.

Then simply reinsert the hotend into the extruder and put the screws back.

Attachments

I've had some issues with the first layer being somewhat rough and wavy.

My extruder is calibrated, and the problem seems to sort itself out in the following layers, but it's a little concerning to me....

Any ideas?

Attachments

GORDON.LAPLANTE

Administrator
Staff member
I think the 1st layer might be printing either too high or its not thick enough. I see this problem when we print a thinner layer height (let's say 0.17mm) and the 1st layer isn't thick enough. Make sure to override the 1st layer with an actual height (like 0.30mm) instead of a percentage like 150%. This is a new change to our config file as well.