Sticks too good

Roxy

I like to print on glass sprayed with a very light layer of hair spray. When the print is done, you just put the glass in the freezer and the print snaps off easily.

cumminscruiser said:
I'm printing on a heated bed using ABS and the part sticks too good to the bed. Any ideas on getting it off the bed without damage??
If you are using Bltouch auto-level increase your height of the nozzle from the bed by lowering the Bltouch sensor. To do this unscrew 1/8 of a turn at a time the sensor screws (on both sides), then reprint. Keep on doing this until you get the tack right . Once you do you will never have to do it again.

Also, I assume you have buildtack for a bed surface.

If you do not have auto bed level, the you will have to do all of the above manually.

Roxy

PianoPrint said:
If you are using Bltouch auto-level increase your height of the nozzle from the bed by lowering the Bltouch sensor. To do this unscrew 1/8 of a turn at a time the sensor screws (on both sides), then reprint. Keep on doing this until you get it right tack. Once you do you will never have to do it again.
It may be easier to use the M851 command in Marlin to adjust the Z-Probe-Offset-From-Extruder. If you adjust it and get the desired results, you then do an M500 to save all your settings to EEPROM and the adjustment will be sticky and be there every time you power up the printer.

cumminscruiser said:
Does ABS stick to the glass?
It has been some time since I have printed directly on glass. When i did, I used an Elmer's stick glue, or Elmer's Craft Bond Spray glue. They are both messy, but they work. Also, I assume that you have a heated bed so keep the temperature around 85C. If you do not have a heated bed, then it will be almost impossible to build anything in ABS that is not circular and round as anything else it will lift from the bed.

Another thing that will help you is to get an infrared thermometer to survey your heated glass bed. What I have found with mine is that even though I might be setting, for example, my temperature to 75C, because of the way the heated mat is build there are some areas that produce colder spots than others. For instance, you temperature could be set to 75, but some areas will be as low as 68C. To compensate I have to raise the the heated mat temperature to 82C in order to get a min temperature of 75C in all areas. That helped me quite a bit in keeping ABS, and PETG on the bed.

Roxy

PianoPrint said:
cumminscruiser said:
Does ABS stick to the glass?
It has been some time since I have printed directly on glass. When i did, I used an Elmer's stick glue, or Elmer's Craft Bond Spray glue. They are both messy, but they work. Also, I assume that you have a heated bed so keep the temperature around 85C.
85 C. sounds low to me. Pretty much, I need to have the bed at 105 C. to keep ABS's corners from peeling up. Personally, I think hairspray is better and easier to use than any of the glue sticks. But ABS prints on glass very nicely.