E3D Volcano

Any experimental tests or upgrades for the gMax printer will reside here. Check back for new ideas and to follow the progress.

E3D Volcano

Postby jackadanos » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:24 am

Hey guys,

I received my E3D Volcano upgrade for my V6 hotend a week or two ago and I quickly ran into a startling issue. I was under the impression that I was just going to be able to swap out the V6 parts for the Volcano ones and start printing at the same speeds (around 80 mm/s) with .6 mm layer heights (.8 mm nozzle) instead of my usual .25 mm layers (.4 mm nozzle). What I discovered was that in order to get my motor to not start skipping, I had to slow down my speeds to about 38 mm/s. This means that I'm only printing a little bit faster than with my V6 (6 hour prints instead of 7 hour), not the half-time I was expecting.

What speeds are you printing at with the Volcano?

Also, I'm using FoxSmart PLA printing at 199º first layer and 208º other layers. I've tried Colorfabb PLA and have the same issue, so it's not a filament quality issue.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

~ Jack
These users thanked the author jackadanos for the post (total 0):
jackadanos

Re: E3D Volcano Print Speeds

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:17 am

I have yet to experiment with my volcano. But I have used the "bigger" sizes for the v6. I ran into this issue. Measureing the width of the extruded plastic and entering that dimension into nozzle diameter helped a lot.

I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extruder-Gear-Stepper-Motor-Ratio-5-1-Planetary-Gearbox-Nema-17-Step-Motor-OSM-/231419392642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e1abb282
But I have not received it yet.

I was going to add some longer wheel bolts and fatter spacers to get it to fit.

I am worried that the motor will not be able to spin fast enough to keep up geared this low. This thing will also grind up some filament.
These users thanked the author gCreate_Kyle for the post (total 0):
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
3D Printing/Electronics Enthusiast
gCreate_Kyle

Re: E3D Volcano Print Speeds

Postby raykholo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:55 am

Increasing your temp for all other layers will help, and slow down your first layer as needed b/c you don't want to increase that temp.

That's what I like about printing on glass, I print PLA at 220 and have the ability to go all the way up to 280 without any worry.
These users thanked the author raykholo for the post (total 0):
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Re: Sudden X-Axis problems, do I need a new Stepper Driver?

Postby CalebC » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 am

I have seen that, in fact it was your post and pictures that first made me want to get an E3D hot-end. =] If I would have had enough money I would have thought about getting one of yours, but I don't know that the volcano was out at the time.

All that being said, I finally got my fan shroud size right to be able to mount the Volcano to my existing Dual-Extruder gMax 1.0 X-Axis carriage. Then it was just some re-wiring and upload of the tweaked Marlin code and I was ready to go. After a test print using the .8mm nozzle I'm now FINALLY able to print with NinjaFlex like I've wanted! I got the spool in the mail before my printer and have been waiting to be able to print with it for I don't even know how long, so it's thoroughly exiciting. =]

I've added a couple photos of the Volcano mounted and printing a 1" dice. I'll post a picture later of the NinjaFlex one and can report later on speeds and performance. I know one person experienced less than desirable speeds so I'm curious what this will be able to do.
These users thanked the author CalebC for the post (total 0):
Attachments
20150314_222526.jpg
20150314_222457.jpg
CalebC

Re: E3D Volcano

Postby raykholo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:39 pm

That's pretty awesome. I love the green on black look. Customized fan shroud I take it?

I need to make a block design for Volcano. But first, Chimera. Still waiting on all this from E3D. What we do is use a 20x40 beam for a "double-tall" X Axis. Then we have the space to proportionally fit the taller volcano or a module with 2 motors for a direct-driven chimera and allow all these things to be used side by side. I don't know how well the kinematics of 5 extruders and motors on the x axis will play out but I have hope :)
These users thanked the author raykholo for the post (total 0):
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Postby CalebC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks! I felt really fortunate to be able to get the green and black. Gordon and Anna were sweet enough to go looking for green when I placed my pre-order last year and they had one set left. :)

I hope you get your Chimera from E3D soon, that'll be an impressive print head when you get it all done! I almost thought about the Chimera when I bought my Volcano setup, but it was a little more work and modification than I was up for. The double-tall x-axis makes a lot of sense. You'll have to put up some pictures once its all done.

And yes it is a custom fan shroud for the gMax 1.0 Dual. In fact if anyone else has a the same printer model and is thinking about getting an E3D Volcano I've attached the fan shroud STL that I modified. I have another that's almost complete for just the regular E3D (v6) hot-end that I can post up here also if anyone would like it.

Caleb
These users thanked the author CalebC for the post (total 0):
Attachments
gMax1.0_Dual_FanShroud.zip
gMax 1.0 - Dual Extruder - Fan Shroud
(276.09 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
CalebC

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Share it please! I slightly altered the fan bracket,made it slotted, to go back and fourth from j-head, v6, and volcano.

I have been working with the volcano 1.2mm all week. I will be posting pictures and info soon.
Attachments
single extruder_fan bracket v1_E3D Volcano.zip
(35.93 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:17 pm

If you plan on experimenting with the E3D volcano 1.2mm you better be prepared to use a lot of plastic. I have gone through about 1.5 kgs of cheap PLA this week. I had a lot of trouble actually getting this nozzle to make good prints. I had to slow down a lot. Which defeats the purpose in my opinion. I probably just need more practice and more modding ;) .

My extruder could not maintain the set temperatures. I guess the plastic was pulling so much heat out of the extruder the heater cartridge could not keep up. Yes, I ran PID autotune. I even turned off my cooling fan (which was a bad idea) and insulated the extruder with fiberglass (muffler packing). My extruder maintained 220/250 degrees C. It is rather cold in my shop making the plastic spool cold. The 24V heater cartridge is probably a good idea. A mod I will probably be looking into. This is one reason I had to slow down my print speed.

Printing at 45-60 mm/s with 0.5 mm layer height does not give the plastic enough time to heat up in the extruder. Even though the extruder was 220 degrees, which is still hot for PLA. The parts would have that flat black color, and horrible layer adhesion. I think for this nozzle the heater block needs to be longer to allow more time to transfer heat into the plastic. Again, another reason to slow down.

I found that printing at 20-25 mm/s with 1 mm layer height worked the best. Although it had horrible layer adhesion, the large print in the picture printed in 3 hours with these settings. I was also successful printing at 35-40 mm/s with a 0.5mm layer height.

Warping can also be very very bad. But this can be overcome easily. If you print the first layer with a brim at 8 mm/s at 250 degrees, You will need a jackhammer to get the print off the bed. But it wont warp :lol:.

corner curling? Not sure what to call this. Just had to slow down. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9bHWj4YsPejeC1KSHQ1MmJBOWc&authuser=0

One thing worth noting. When a print does go right, it is incredibly strong.
Attachments
Bigprint.jpg
3 hour print
Winter Jacket.jpg
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:23 pm

My dreams are to print white water kayaks. So I will be working with this nozzle a lot more. I will keep you posted with mods and other things I find out about it.
Attachments
MoreFails.jpg
2.5hourFail.jpg
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

Postby mwu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:35 am

This probably would be a bad idea on an acrylic bed, but for prints that just won't come loose I have found that a heat gun on the bottom of the print bed until the top surface gets warm will easily release the stubborn print.
These users thanked the author mwu for the post (total 0):
mwu

Next

Return to gMax Experimental Tests