E3D Volcano

Any experimental tests or upgrades for the gMax printer will reside here. Check back for new ideas and to follow the progress.

Re: E3D Volcano

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:05 pm

I am going to try out a heated glass bed.

Balancing adhesion is tricky with this nozzle. I had a few prints that were very difficult to remove.

I'm afraid of using a hair dryer to remove prints because you can warp the bed.
These users thanked the author gCreate_Kyle for the post (total 0):
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
3D Printing/Electronics Enthusiast
gCreate_Kyle

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:54 pm

I am working on balancing speed and layer adhesion. I printed a new "overthruster" (a kayak part for adding volume to your splash top to make rolling and bow stales easier).

Both were printed at the same temperature. 220.

My first black overthruster had horrible layer adhesion and fell apart just from holding it. It had that flat color you get when the plastic was not processed hot enough. I printed this with 1mm layer height at 25 mm/s. It took 3 hours and some change.

My second red overthruster seems very strong. It has that glossy color you get when the plastic is processed at high temperatures. I printed this with .7mm layer heights at 15mm/s. It took 6 hours and 21 minutes.

Some of my friends are professional kayakers. They are sponsored by pyranha and are very excited to try out some custom kayak gear. Our wave just opened up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71gbhktE0I
Attachments
infil.jpg
Red overthruster.jpg
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

Postby shaqFoo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:03 am

Everyone needs an overthruster. It just sounds cool.

Great video of the whitewater park.
These users thanked the author shaqFoo for the post (total 0):
shaqFoo

Postby CalebC » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks for the print info and photos Kyle. I haven't tried using the 1.2mm nozzle yet, but I feel WAY more prepared to try after hearing about what you've gone through. I'm glad you finally got the Kayak part printed successfully!

I ended up needing to replace one of the X-Axis motor brackets for my gMax 1.0 and am VERY pleased with the replacement part I printed on the Volcano using the 0.6mm nozzle, which is my favorite so far.

I added photos below of the old broken part and the new one (for comparison). I also added some Simplify3D print profiles that I've been using that seem to work well, including the profile I used for the replacement part.
These users thanked the author CalebC for the post (total 0):
Attachments
20150325_112534.jpg
Broken original part
20150325_112559.jpg
Replacement part (0.6mm nozzle and 0.4mm layer height)
Simplyfy3D-Profiles_Volcano-0.6mm.zip
Simplyfy3D Volcano 0.6mm Nozzle Print Profiles
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
CalebC

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:13 am

Retraction settings for the 1.2mm:

Length: 3mm (too high will cause a lot of popping noises and imperfections)
Speed: 50mm/s (Yes that fast)
Lift Z: 0.8mm (probably too high)
Extra Length on restart: 1mm (this will fill in the gap caused by a retraction)
Minimum travel after retraction: 1mm

I also set my non print moves speed to 160 mm/s
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

Postby raykholo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:17 am

First print with volcano (after the customary calibration cube) is a huge prosthetic/ functioning hand model for a client. I'm definitely starting to see the need for Z Lift on retraction.
That said, the retraction itself shouldn't need to be that large. Volcano barely drools if at all. E3D attributed this to less back pressure in the nozzle chamber due to the larger/ longer melt zone. I'm in the 1.5-2mm retract length, same as what I use with the v6.
These users thanked the author raykholo for the post (total 0):
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:26 am

Yea that will work for 99% of prints. I was printing 2 objects on either side of the bed. Doing a 3mm retract works well for long moves and does not sacrafice quality for small moves on one part.

A small retract of 1.5mm saves about 5 minutes on a 30 minute print. You will only need to add .5mm extra on restart too.

Prosthetic Hand: Awesome use for 3d printing and custom electronics!
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

Postby Clint.B » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:29 am

Hey Guys. I want to switch out my J-head for the E3D Volcano. Are there any instructions for doing this for the single extruder gMax 1.5 XT? Thanks for your help.
These users thanked the author Clint.B for the post (total 0):
Clint.B

Postby Spudwheelie » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:34 am

Connect the heater cartridge:
You will have to either crimp on a 2 pin connector to the E3D heater cartridge. Or by pass the connector all together and wire it directly to the ramps. This depends on weather or not you want to interchange your extruders. Connectors are prone to failure overtime due to the repetitive back and fourth motion. The link below is a good connector which is being used on the gMax 1.5+ printers. If you are using this connector all you have to do is strip a bit of the heater cartridge wire and clamp it down with the screw terminal. They are much easier and more reliable than the 2 pin connectors on the 1.5.
http://www.amazon.com/Positions-Screw-Terminal-Barrier-Connector/dp/B00KHSQ8CO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448892742&sr=8-6&keywords=screw+terminal+connectors

Difference in z-height:

The j-head is shorter than the V6. The volcano is even longer. Because of this the cooling fan is not aligned in the correct position.
I made the attached slotted fan bracket for the 1.5 a while back. It should work for the Volcano, V6, and j-head. Just loosen, slide, and tighten. You may have to make the slots a bit longer, not sure. Sorry 1.5+ users. I have not seen a model yet to adapt the cooling fan to an E3D v6 or Volcano. Anyone want to make one?

Don't forget to reset your z-axis endstop.

You should also change this difference in Z-height in the firmware. This is found somewhere in configuration.h. I am not sure what the new value for z-height should be as I did not make this change in my firmware.

Cooling fan for the E3D heatsink:

This can be wired to the same 12V terminal which is connected to the LED light. This is the 12V aux port on the ramps. Make sure to get the correct polarity or you might break the fan. Check the LED light labels to figure out which terminal is (-) and which is (+). Or use a multimeter.

PID autotune:
I am not going to re invent this excellent Toms guide. Just watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APzJfYAgFkQ

Pretty sure this is all there is to converting to an E3D V6 or volcano. Let me know If I forgot to mention anything. Its been a while since I converted my 1.5 but I remember it being easy.
These users thanked the author Spudwheelie for the post (total 0):
Attachments
single extruder_fan bracket v1_E3D Volcano.stl.zip
(36.45 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Spudwheelie

Postby Clint.B » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks Spudwheelie - I am up to the "Cooling fan for the E3D heatsink" point of my mod. Do I need to edit the the firmware or is the j-head and E3d have the same number for the hotted in the firmware?
These users thanked the author Clint.B for the post (total 0):
Clint.B

PreviousNext

Return to gMax Experimental Tests