E3D Volcano

Yes you do need to run a PID autotune. These parameters do quite a lot to keep the hotend at a stable temperature. Since the j-head and E3D volcano are made with different metals and different masses. Not to mention to constant cooling of the heat-sink fan. They will not heat up and cool off at similar rates.

Thanks again Spudwheeliey. I'll give it a shot. Hope you don't mind if I come back with more questions, if I need further help. Cheers!

Hey guys, I'm still having a problem with my E3D mod. Everything is hooked up, and working, but I'm having a temperature issue. I've run the autotune PID test several times, and it comes back with some fairly different numbers. When I run a calibration print, the nozzle reads 207, where I specified 200 in S3D. It prints pretty well for several layers, then the temp just drops. If I don't shut it down, then it will continue to print, but the extruder will stop once the temp falls too low. I thought it might be the thermistor connection. I removed the print head, and the thermistor, cut out the small plug and soldered the connection. I'm having the same issue on different calibration prints also, so it's not the file. Any help would be awesome.

AlexD

Hi there, as a test you should run a print without the cooling fan enabled, if the temp stays where it should and does not drop then it would indicate that you would need to adjust the fan shroud position, it could be blowing too much on the hotend causing it to cool.

Hey Alex, you are absolutely right. Though, I have adjusted the fan shroud, and even printed out a modified fan bracket, so as to move the fan further away from the heat block, and I'm still having the same problem. When the fan kicks in at layer 3, the extruder temp plummets, until it stops extruding. The only way to complete a calibration print, is to turn the fan completely off. I even adjusted my fan speed down to 45% in Simplify, and it's doing no good. This has got me stumped. Any ideas how I can adjust the cooling, so it doesn't interfere with the extruder temps? Thanks again for the help.

AlexD

Hi Clint, yeah it's as i thought, everyone with a gmax who has moved to a E3D hotend has had this problem, designing a fit for purpose fan shroud and bracket has been on my to do list since building my own custom gMax months ago. As a temporary solution i held the shroud exactly where it wanted to be and simply fixed it with glue, its been like that a few months now! Not an ideal solution i know but it works until a better option is available.

The shroud needs to be pointed just above the bottom of the nozzle, the design is good enough that if it is slightly too high then it will cool the hotend instead. Have you got a picture of how it is sat currently?

I'll grab a pic of how mine sits when i get in if you want.

Cheers

Alex

PS - Also Clint, i forgot to ask, have you been running PID Autotune with the fan at 100%?? If not then try this first and see if it helps.

Alex - thanks for the help. I tried shutting of the fan in S3D but when I print from an SD card, the cooling over-ride kicks in and turns the fan back on. No, I did not have the parts fan running when I ran the autotune PID test, just preheat mod. Funny thing happens, when I raise the extruder, with the fan on, the temp is maintained at 200. It's when the extruder is too close to the bed, that the fan force, bounces up and cools the heater block.

I also have a Robo 3D with an E3D hot-end, and it prints with no problem, but the heated bed may help. The fan shroud on the Robo is very different than the gMax. It's very simple, is farther away and does not wrap around the nozzle.

My next course of action, is to redesign the fan shroud to make it more similar to the one on the Robo. Also, a friend suggested, that I should replace my heater core with a more powerful 40w 12v core. The one I'm using, can't adjust to that fan. Also I might need to un-check all the cooling over-rides in S3D. They are not allowing me to turn down that fan speed.

What do you think? Is this a good course of action? I really appreciate your help.

AlexD

Hiya mate, first of all i think the fan gets overidden depending on where you alter it, if you change the fan speed from the Tune menu, then it will usually get overridden on the next layer change, whereas if you change it from the Control menu, then the change is permenant. When printing PLA my fan comes on at later 4 at 25% and then at layer 10 it bumps to 100%.

Designing a new fan shroud would be ideal, although the gmax shroud is really effective, i would still opt for the easiest option and re-run the PID first. If needs be turn the fan on and put the hotend just above the glass so it can tune to a real world scenario. I have a heated bed on my gmax but also had the e3d working well beforw i got it.

The 24v Heater would be a good upgrade but is not necessary, you just need to tweak what you have :D ;)

Merry Christmas

Cheers

Alex

I hope you get your Chimera from E3D soon, that'll be an impressive print head when you get it all done! I almost thought about the Chimera when I bought my Volcano setup, but it was a little more work and modification than I was up for. The double-tall x-axis makes a lot of sense. You'll have to put up some pictures once its all done. 3d printing service india

And yes it is a custom fan shroud for the gMax 1.0 Dual. In fact if anyone else has a the same printer model and is thinking about getting an E3D Volcano I've attached the fan shroud STL that I modified.
ABS(Acylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) Material

Though, I have adjusted the fan shroud, and even printed out a modified fan bracket, so as to move the fan further away from the heat block, and I'm still having the same problem. When the fan kicks in at layer 3, the extruder temp plummets, until it stops extruding. The only way to complete a calibration print, is to turn the fan completely off. I even adjusted my fan speed down to 45% in Simplify, and it's doing no good. This has got me stumped. Any ideas how I can adjust the cooling, so it doesn't interfere with the extruder temps? Thanks again for the help.
3d printing - fdm technology

Hi!

Ive just installed my e3D vulcano since I had issues with skipping at higher speeds/larger nozzles, thought the vulcano would help but then I found this thread.

Starting with 0.8mm nozzle though...

my maximum speed seems to be 40mm/s, PLA at 225 degrees, 0.8mm nozzle and 0.6mm layerheight.
I guess thats ok..

looks like it holds the temperature at full fan as well

Best Regards Patrik