Auto Bed Leveling / Z Probing for gMax Printers.

Any experimental tests or upgrades for the gMax printer will reside here. Check back for new ideas and to follow the progress.

Auto Bed Leveling / Z Probing for gMax Printers.

Postby shaqFoo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:18 am

A demonstration of auto bed leveling / z-probing on a gMax 1.5

http://youtu.be/kgUscFgWVPk

It's very accurate. Repeatably tests are +/- .05 mm

I will NEVER have to manually level my bed again :-)

Have fun!
These users thanked the author shaqFoo for the post (total 0):
Last edited by shaqFoo on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shaqFoo

Re: Auto Bed Leveling / Z Probing for gMax Printers.

Postby shaqFoo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:32 am

I programmed the Simplify3D macro buttons to Lower Z-Probe, Raise Z-Probe and Bed Auto-level. This makes it all easy to control under the same screen and keeps everything tidy.
Attachments
3Macros.jpg
Screenshot showing the 3 macro buttons. Lower Z-Probe, Raise Z-Probe and Bed Auto-level
shaqFoo

Postby Mark Millstead » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Where did you buy all the supply's to make it work? Any chance you could make a tutorial with step by step walk through? I'm pretty new to 3D printing and these programs.
These users thanked the author Mark Millstead for the post (total 0):
Mark Millstead

Postby santiclause » Fri May 01, 2015 11:27 pm

I second the tutorial part. This will be my first 3D printer, I ordered the gmax1.5xt. I have watched numerous videos and envy the auto leveling bed on some printers, it takes almost all the guess work out and gives your printer the best possible chance to produce good prints, I know there are many other factors, but a level bed is crucial from what I understand.

Is there anyway you could do a part list and a tutorial, and even though I'll have the gmax1.5xt, it should still work the same right, it's just 8'' higher in the y direction.

Thanks.
These users thanked the author santiclause for the post (total 0):
santiclause

Postby kpiunno » Fri May 29, 2015 10:44 am

I would also really appreciate it if you could post a part list and your source code.
These users thanked the author kpiunno for the post (total 0):
kpiunno

Postby cncpadawan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:50 pm

This is very cool! I am not sure how it actually levels the bed though... I understand the principle of the switch to detect the position of the bed, but how does the bed actually become level? Does the firmware adjust for the inconsistencies, thus not actually leveling the bed but just compensating for it?

In any case, awesome work! I, too, would love to see how you have pulled this off and see a list of components!
These users thanked the author cncpadawan for the post (total 0):
cncpadawan

Postby shaqFoo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 pm

You will need to upgrade your printer with new Marlin firmware. You can find the firmware files in the thread that is linked below. There is very detailed information and instructions regarding the new firmware. It has been in use and tested and is fully documented. Follow, the link, read the instructions and download the firmware package that is specific to your printer..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=497

After upgrading, you will have access to Auto leveling, Ditto Printing (say what?) functional M600 change filament commands and a whole lot more.

Head on over to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=497

and get yourself some! :-)

Happy Fourth everyone.
Last edited by shaqFoo on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaqFoo

Postby shaqFoo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:44 am

You will need to upgrade your printer with new Marlin firmware. You can find the firmware files in the thread that is linked below. There is very detailed information and instructions regarding the new firmware. It has been in use and tested and is fully documented. Follow, the link, read the instructions and download the firmware package that is specific to your printer.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=497

After upgrading, you will have access to Auto leveling, Ditto Printing (say what?) functional M600 change filament commands and a whole lot more.

Head on over to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=497

and get yourself some! :-)

Happy Fourth everyone.
shaqFoo

Postby shaqFoo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:19 am

cncpadawan wrote:This is very cool! I am not sure how it actually levels the bed though... I understand the principle of the switch to detect the position of the bed, but how does the bed actually become level? Does the firmware adjust for the inconsistencies, thus not actually leveling the bed but just compensating for it?

In any case, awesome work! I, too, would love to see how you have pulled this off and see a list of components!

To answer your question, the firmware compensates for the unevenness on the fly. The Z axis moves in BOTH directions during the print. Physically speaking, nothing is done to the bed.
shaqFoo

Postby Casper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:19 pm

PLEASE HELP

I installed the firmware provided by ShaqFoo and all is good on that end. I also have mounts for my servo and micro switch for the Z probe used in auto leveling.

My issue is how to wire up and configure the firmware for the micro switch. I was following these videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awsI9bMndJA&list=PLU2kePyB_WAZlCnA-fMbLDbGeFXTffiP9) which helped my through everything but the micro switch wiring.

I am using the same switch from the video OMRON SS-5 and need to know where to hook each pin to on my RAMPS boards. My current setup turns the board/lcd off until I trigger the switch which then kicks it back on which can't be right. Any help is greatly appreciated.
These users thanked the author Casper for the post (total 0):
Casper

Next

Return to gMax Experimental Tests