gmax1.5xt and simplfy3D

Any experimental tests or upgrades for the gMax printer will reside here. Check back for new ideas and to follow the progress.

Re: gmax1.5xt and simplfy3D

Postby santiclause » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm not sure how to attach the gcode file, I tried, but it looks like nothing uploaded.
These users thanked the author santiclause for the post (total 0):
santiclause

Postby santiclause » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Kyle: I used simplify 3D to slice the file and I added the start gcode that lifts the extruder that I found in your start gcode to my settings.

here is what I have in my start g code scripts in simplify3D:

G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000; Raise nozzle
santiclause

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:22 am

Hi santicluase,
I will be a lot faster to respond on support@gcreate.com.

I actually have never used simplify 3D. Gordon just sent me the beta S3D files in case anyone asked for them. It sounds like you need to put in the start and end gcode that we use for slic3r into S3D.

Start GCode:
Code: Select all
M104 S[first_layer_temperature_0] T0; set 1st nozzle heater to first layer temperature
M104 S[first_layer_temperature_1] T1; set 2nd nozzle heater to first layer temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000; Raise nozzle
M109 S[first_layer_temperature_0] T0; set 1st nozzle heater to first layer temperature
M109 S[first_layer_temperature_1] T1; set 2nd nozzle heater to first layer temperature
G1 F5000 X210 Y210 Z1; Move print head to center and lower to first layer height

End GCode:
Code: Select all
M104 S0 T0 ; turn off temperature 1st nozzle.
M104 S0 T1 ; turn off temperature 2nd nozzle.
G28 X0  ; home X axis
G28 Y0  ; home Y axis
M84     ; disable motors
These users thanked the author gCreate_Kyle for the post (total 0):
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
3D Printing/Electronics Enthusiast
gCreate_Kyle

Postby santiclause » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Ok, I'll try to email as well. I'll try this start and end g code out and see if it fixes the problem.

In the meantime I tried to troubleshoot by myself, and tried to use slic3r to slice the xboxcalibration model...when I went to print from the SD card using the slic3r generated g code, the printer homed the axis by going left till x endstop then bed slid forward towards me till y endstop then the extruder lifted about 10mm and started heating!!!! Got excited as that's what it's supposed to do I think... then once the heat stabilized at 201 degrees it went to center and started printing. All seemed well until it started to go in the y direction, it went off the bed (towards me) and was extruding plastic off the bed after the nozzle fought to get over the slight thickness of the aluminum angle attached to the bed.

It's almost like it doesn't know the dimensionless or something? Any ideas?

I have the bed size set in slic3r to: x=406.4 y=406.4
origin: x=203.2 y=203.2
santiclause

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:57 pm

You probably need to use the slic3r configurations for the gMax. With slic3r open, Click on file> Load config bundle. Select the .ini file containing the slic3r presets. You should see a pop up window telling you that you have loaded 17 presets.
Attachments
gMaxSlic3rConfigs.zip
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

Postby santiclause » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Shouldn't these two lines of code be below the G1 Z5 F5000; Raise nozzle?

M104 S[first_layer_temperature_0] T0; set 1st nozzle heater to first layer temperature
M104 S[first_layer_temperature_1] T1; set 2nd nozzle heater to first layer temperature

we want the raise nozzle to be first before it sets the nozzle temperatures right? That way it doesn't melt the bed, so should I put those two lines of code below the G1 Z5 F5000; Raise nozzle code?

I tried the start and end code as is the way you sent me and it did the same thing, didn't home any axis and started immediately heating the extruders close to the bed. So that didn't work.
santiclause

Postby santiclause » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Ok, I will try that out. Note: I am running slic3r 1.2.6 not sure if that has anything to do with it. I loaded the bundle and it said what you said it would 17 loaded. I noticed it says printer single 0.5mm nozzle, that should be fine even though I am running a dual extruder set up right, I'm only using the left stock 0.5mm extruder though with 1.75mm colorfab white filament provided with the printer.

I'll give this a try real quick and see what happens!! I'll get back to you within a few minutes probably lol.

Also should I be using the xboxdualextruder.stl or the xboxsingleextruder.stl

again running a dual setup, but only using the 0.5mm left extruder as of now....should this matter when selecting which one of these .stl files to use to use for test printing/calibration tests?

I also see the printer settings are set for x=410 and y=400 is this right for the 1.5xt size? not 406.4 x 406.4?

Thanks, I feel we're close to figuring this out...I just want to get up and running!
santiclause

Postby santiclause » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Ok, so I uploaded the config bundle into slic3r and I didn't change any settings, all I did was scale the original xboxdualconfiguration.stl file from 100% to 80% because I was afraid that with the skirt settings that I saw, 6mm away from the edge it might print off the bed....so I thought surely scaling the model down to 80% would leave enough room.

When I hit print from SD it homed x and y and said y was at 410, which was right according to the slic3r settings, then it lifted the extruders and heated the 1 extruder, then it went down to the the bottom of the print bed and went over the aluminum angle about half way and started to print the first line halfway up on the aluminum angle...I'm not sure what's going on, do you?
santiclause

Postby santiclause » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:29 am

I really wish I could get simplify 3D to work, and by that I mean heat my extruder up off the bed instead of right down on it.... I want to see the results with simplyfy on my gmax...

As of now I'm doing all my testing using slic3r...
It looks and sounds like my extruder is not coming up high enough after each layer to print the next layer, I say this because when it's drawing a new layer I can hear it going over the previous layer as if you were to scratch your fingernail across the print layers, that's what it sounds like, how do I fix this, I think this is altering my print quality drastically!! I'm getting ehhh prints so far...tried 20mm cube and a simple arrow with bevels.
santiclause

Postby gCreate_Kyle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 am

Shouldn't these two lines of code be below the G1 Z5 F5000; Raise nozzle?

M104 tells the printer to set to [first_layer_temperature] and proceed on to the next line of gcode.

M109 tells the printer to set to [first_layer_temperature] and wait until the hotend is within +-3 degrees for 10 seconds until proceeding to the next line.

M104 basically just tells the printer to start heating while it homes and set-ups up. Just to speed things up. You could delete it if you want.

One of my favorite websites...http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

It looks and sounds like my extruder is not coming up high enough after each layer to print the next layer, I say this because when it's drawing a new layer I can hear it going over the previous layer as if you were to scratch your fingernail across the print layers, that's what it sounds like, how do I fix this

Adjust your z-axis zero point to bring the extruder up just a hair while it prints the first layer. Try a quarter to half turn clockwise. (the screw behind the x-axis motor).
R. Kyle Gress
gMax Technical Support
gCreate_Kyle

PreviousNext

Return to gMax Experimental Tests