My gMax 1.5 modded Trifecta

Any experimental tests or upgrades for the gMax printer will reside here. Check back for new ideas and to follow the progress.

My gMax 1.5 modded Trifecta

Postby konton » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:34 pm

While I do love the new updates to the gMax +, I don't have 9 grand to pay for 3 new printers. So I do appreciate Gordon's willingness to keep things under creative commons and available to the public for their own tinkering. These are a trifecta of printers I'm building using the 1.0 and 1.5 STL files.

I don't have it all figured out yet. Specifically the extruders. But so far so good. They will sit nicely next to my gMax 1.0 and gMax 1.25 DW.

Justin
These users thanked the author konton for the post (total 0):
konton

Re: My gMax 1.5 modded Trifecta

Postby shaqFoo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:38 am

Justin,

Those look great. That double wide is awesome I remember seeing it a while ago.

$9K is a tough pill to swallow.

We were sold the printers under the creative common license and it being open source. We were encouraged to extend and modify the printers. Under that pretext we own the right to keep it in the public domain (1.5 and previous) so it's strange the files were pulled from the DL section of the site.

You said you were still figuring out the extruders. May I suggest the E3D Volcanos? For your large format prints, they will greatly lessen your print times and they produce great results.

Looking forward to seeing them finished!

ShaqFoo
These users thanked the author shaqFoo for the post (total 0):
shaqFoo

Postby snavazio » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Looks incredible.

Are you willing to share you BOM?

My 1.0 has a glass bed with a sheet of aluminum (from Home Depot) underneath for mounting the glass. I use washers to hold the glass in place.

Set up the Auto Bed Leveling, and it's working pretty good. Worth doing.

If want pics or firmware LMK.
These users thanked the author snavazio for the post (total 0):
snavazio

Postby konton » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Hey, thanks. Well I'm not really doing large format prints. I was, but they didn't work out so well. And I need to create thin vents, so I'm probably going to keep with E3D v6 all metal. I tried the lite, but there was a ton of oozing. The way the extruder system worked, I didn't know if I should switch to the 1.5 or the 1.5+ design. I wish I could do that 5 axis setup you posted!

I'd share my BOM if I had one. But I'm just sorta tinkering in the basement. I buy parts as I go along, modify STL files as needed, and use whatever I already have in the house from old projects that never got finished. If I knew how to do the auto bed leveling, I'd add it in!

To give you an idea of what I mean here are some photos. While I got a bunch of 80/20 1515-lite off ebay, I had a bunch of 20x40 and 20x60 openbuilds v-slots around the house, so I modded the mounts to make the moving bed:

I had some misumi extrusion left over from the $150 free last year, so I added those as a place to put the acrylic bed. It will be 10"x20" since it works for what I'm building.

The misumi stuff uses all m3 nuts and bolts, which I have plenty of now, so I use them where I can. I cut things in easy numbers, so they don't always fit perfectly. But I mod all my STL files as much as I can. Like here for moving the motors to the bottom of the printer, and keeping the ACME rods in place (I ran out of green way faster than I thought):

When I need something different, I find STL files free online, and mod them how to fit my uses. Like where to put the Ramps 1.4 and attach a cooling fan.

You can see my gMax 1.0 and gMax 1.5 DoubleWide in the background. On a side not to all that, I learned many lessons from my 14"x32" bed when building the gMax 1.5 DoubleWide:

If it's too big, it won't make as fine of a product. That's why I'm keeping the size now to 10"x20". It's all I need to make my products (a work in progress).

All that said, I'll try and working on a BOM once these are finished and tested. But since I'm mainly using stuff because it's lying around the house, I'm not sure it's really useful to anyone.

Justin
konton

Postby RansomJ1966 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:38 am

These are amazing, I have not seen updates in a couple weeks about the progress.

As I am a novice to this 3D printing, can you detail how to MOD a 1.5+ to have the AutoLeveling? Please? Anyone?

I would pay handsomely for plans, and even better, a kit, if someone could make it available.

Seriously.
These users thanked the author RansomJ1966 for the post (total 0):
RansomJ1966

Postby konton » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:52 am

Sorry. I'm stuck on how the fan mounts to the back of the extruder for the 1.5. Does any have a photo of this?
konton

Postby AlexD » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:30 am

I'll grab one when i get in mate.
These users thanked the author AlexD for the post (total 0):
AlexD

Postby konton » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 pm

No worries. Got it fixed. I wonder if a 10mm fan might work rather than a 15mm fan. Anyway I had to do a ton of adjustment to get it working for my needs. Most of my prints are over 18" wide, but just 1" thick, so this prints 21" wide by 7" thick. Not sure about height, but I figure a 15" print height is nice when you need it. Here is one I got up and running today. I way prefer the motors at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BWVSOqw4k

1 down, 2 to go. Augh. I'd give you guys a BOM, but I really end up using whatever spare parts are around the house, so I can even tell you how many m3 screws in what lengths. In the future I'd love to do a wider spacing, but I get the 1515 80/20 off ebay, and buying in 12" and 24" widths is cheap.

Justin
konton

Postby AlexD » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Tried to watch the vid but it says its private!

Dont worry about the BOM, i built my own and have the BOM for it haha

Cheers

Alex
These users thanked the author AlexD for the post (total 0):
AlexD

Postby konton » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Woops. Sorry. It should have been unlisted. Fixed it.

Anyway ran into a weird issue. Everything works fine until the extruder heats and bed tries to go to the center position. Not sure why, but the motor for the Y axis goes the wrong way. Any idea?

Justin
konton

Next

Return to gMax Experimental Tests