Trouble with Artichoke Lamp :)

GOod afternoon all. just wanted to post quick to see if anyone else has had issues printing this thing?
Both times ive tried its failed, broken pieces off, or birds nested near the end etc.
I really want to get this right, without wasting filament all night.
210 degree pla, should be plenty hot to bond.
Last print i did at 50mm/s seems pretty slow.
Any thoughts?
thanks

dunginhawk said:
by lower you mean 100 micron instead of 200 micron?
Maybe 120 or 160 microns. I am not sure I have not printed this model. I would assume 200 microns to a good layer height. Might be the material. I remember him using CF PLA to help with those overhangs.

Edit: Only problem with CF PLA is that it is black. It won't work as a lamp shade too well.

My best advice is slow it down, turn down your temperatures, and increase cooling.

I do have cooling on, i think 60%. If i turn it up much more it cools the hotend too much and I cant get it heated back up.

Also, I would have thought the hotter the better for bonding those layers, or are you thinking perhaps its coming apart due to curling in a corner caused by excessive heat?
50mm/s seems pretty slow... Id hate to see how long it would take at 30mm/s

PLA is a finicky beast sometimes. If you print it as cool as you can, it might droop off less than it does at higher temps. You could section a small part of the lamp off and test it to save time.

Pictures of the failed part (carnage) would be helpful as well.